Vegan Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies that are thick and chewy on the inside, crispy on the outside and SO delicious! One bowl, 9 ingredients and ready in 20 minutes! (Naturally sweetened, gluten free + oil free)
Calling all matcha lovers! Today we’re infusing thick and chewy vegan chocolate chip cookies with matcha. The earthy slight bitter flavour paired with the subtle sweet vanilla-y flavour– studded with chocolate chips… this is perfectiooon.
Ingredients for Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies
This vegan matcha cookies recipe is un-fussy and straight forward, requiring just 10 ingredients!
- Cashew Butter: It’s mild neutral flavour helps the matcha flavour shine!
- Maple Syrup: Keeping them naturally sweetened! For crispier edge-ed cookies, swap half the amount with granulated sugar like cane or maple syrup.
- Aquafaba: The best egg replacer for cookies to create that chewy texture.
- Rice Flour + Oat Flour + Tapioca Starch: The combo of these gluten free flours produce the perfect thick and chewy texture.
- Chocolate Chips: Use mini and regular for texture!
In addition, you’ll also need baking basics like vanilla, baking powder and salt.
How to Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies
These are as simple as making cookies get. Simply whisk together the wet ingredients and then stir in the dry ingredients! Sift in the matcha powder and baking soda for even distribution and so there aren’t any clumps of matcha. This takes less than 10 minutes.
STICKT DOUGH TIP: Cookie dough that is overly sticky/wet can be due to the humidity level, runny-ness of your nut/seed butter or absorption of the oat flour. You can either add in an extra tablespoon of either flour (which will make the cookies slightly thicker) or letting it sit in the fridge for 15 minutes.
Then they go into the oven for 10 minutes. Total time? 20 minutes! Pretty sure cookies don’t get as quick n’ easy as this.
BAKING TRAY TIP: Use a light coloured baking tray to prevent the cookies from getting overly baked and dried out.
So thick. So chewy. Subtle crunchy edges. Pleasantly matcha-y and studded with the perfect amount of chocolate chips. Cookie perfection.
More Vegan Cookies to Love!
- Chocolate Chip Tahini Cookies
- Vegan Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cashew Butter Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies
- Date Sweetened Peanut Butter Cookies
- The BEST Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies (Favourite!!)
SAVE IT FOR LATER!
If you recreate this Vegan Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
1- Bowl Vegan Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies are thick and chewy, crispy on the edges & SO delicious! (Naturally sweetened, gluten free + oil free)
- 1/2 cup drippy cashew butter (120g // or tahini)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (100g // or use 1/4 cup maple syrup + 1/4 cup granulated sugar for crispier cookies)
- 1/4 cup aquafaba (60ml)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5g)
- 1/3 cup rice flour (54g)
- 1/2 cup oat flour (60g // homemade or store bought)
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch (15g)
- 1 1/2 tsp premium matcha powder (7g)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (7g)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (60g)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Line a light coloured baking tray with parchment paper.
- Into a mixing bowl, add in the tahini, maple syrup, cane sugar, aquafaba, vanilla and whisk until well combined.
- Add in the rice flour, oat flour, tapioca starch and alt. Sift in the matcha and baking powder and mix until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Use a small cookie scoop and divide into 12 balls (see notes below for stickiness). Bake for 10 minutes. Let them cool on the baking tray for 2 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Sticky Dough: *depending on the ingredients used and humidity, the dough may be too sticky to work with. In this case, place the dough into the fridge for 10 minutes until firm enough to work with. I suggest scooping the dough onto the parchment paper and then using wet fingers to shape the dough into rounder circles.
- spatula, mixing bowls, whisk, parchment paper, light coloured baking tray :
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, japanese, north american
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 167
- Sugar: 11.2
- Sodium: 98
- Fat: 7.3
- Saturated Fat: 1.7
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 22.9
- Fiber: 1.7
- Protein: 3.3
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: matcha chocolate chip cookies, healthy chocolate chip cookies, vegan gluten free chocolate chip cookies
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!