Incredible vegan rice casserole with sesame ginger marinated tempeh and loaded with veggies. An all in one healthy meal, this is the perfect effortless weeknight dinner!
Reasons to love casseroles, they’re:
- easy and low maintenance
- virtually hands off
- an all in one kinda meal (IN ONE PAN!)
- amazing for meal prep
- and makes the most comforting weeknight meal
So yeah, this is why dump dinners and casseroles have been a mood the past couple of weeks. And THIISSSS vegan rice casserole in particular has been a favourite! The tempeh is marinated in a sesame ginger sauce and gives the entire dish so much flavour. Plus its high in protein and loaded with veggies (that desperately needed to be used up)!!
Kinda the perfect quarantine meal IMO.
What You Need for Tempeh Rice Casserole
- Tempeh: if you don’t have access to tempeh, you can also substitute it with extra firm pressed tofu.
- Uncooked White Rice: any kind of long grain white rice works here (my favourite is jasmine). You can use short or medium grain rice in a pinch but the rice may come out softer and stickier.
- Sauce: Made with super aromatic ingredients like sesame butter, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, tamari, rice vinegar and a touch of maple syrup.
- Veggies: No limits here! Thats the beauty of casseroles, you can use up any vegetables you have on hand.
How to Make Tempeh & Rice Casserole
It takes about an hour to cook up but it’s virtually hands free once it’s prepped and in the oven. Here’s the best way to make it:
- Marinate the Tempeh (while you prep the other ingredients)
- Add firm raw vegetables to into a baking pan.
- Dump uncooked rice on top
- Top with more raw vegetables and the marinated tempeh
- Pour in liquids and remaining sauce
- Cover with foil and bake
Helpful Tips to Making Rice Casseroles:
- Adding firmer vegetables first will help prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan without them getting soggy (like soft veggies would). Firm vegetables include: onions, carrots, parsnips sweet potatoes and potatoes.
- Make sure the rice is FULLY submerged under water or you’ll be left with spots of uncooked rice.
- TIGHTLY cover with foil so the heat will stay locked in and cook the rice.
And this is what comes out of the oven: a complete meal in one pan with PERFECTLY cooked rice, tons of veggies and mega flavourful pieces of baked tempeh.
Can feed a whole family or be kept for meal prep. Win win in all situations 😉.
More Vegan Casseroles to Love!
- Thai Red Curry Rice Casserole
- Tempeh Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Healthy Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole
- Kabocha Sweet Potato Casserole
SAVE IT FOR LATER!
If you recreate this Sesame Ginger Tempeh Casserole recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Vegan rice casserole with protein packed sesame ginger tempeh and loaded with vegetables. The best all-in-one kinda meal made in one pan!
- Cube the tempeh into 3/4 inch pieces. Add all the marinade ingredients into a shallow container and mix until combined. Add in the tempeh and let it marinade while preparing the rest of the dish.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F. Rinse the rise and set aside. Chop up all the vegetables into bite sized pieces. If using onions and/or carrots add those to the bottom of the 9×13 inch casserole dish first. Evenly spread the rice over the casserole dish. Add on the rest of the vegetables and pour over the vegetable broth. Make sure the rice is fully submerged under the water. Add the tempeh pieces on top and then pour in the remaining marinade on top.
- Tightly cover with foil and bake at 375 F for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, gently mix and then continue baking for another 20-25 minutes or until rice is fully cooked. Let it cool for 5 minutes before serving and garnish with sliced green onions and sesame seeds
- Helpful Equipment: 9×13 inch casserole dish
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: entree
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, asian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 434
- Sugar: 13
- Sodium: 705mg
- Fat: 13
- Saturated Fat: 2.5
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.6
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 63.2
- Fiber: 6.8
- Protein: 19.3
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: tempeh recipes, vegan rice casserole, vegetarian rice casserole, marinated tempeh, baked sesame tempeh
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!