Healthy oat flour cinnamon rolls made without yeast and perfect for two people. This small batch cinnamon roll recipe is easy to make and comes together in under 30 minutes! Vegan, gluten free, oil free & refined sugar free.
When a sudden craving for cinnamon rolls hits me, my beloved 5 minute cinnamon roll in a mug always saves the day. It’s probably one of my top three favourite mug cakes on the blog– and so many of you guys have reported back with similar feelings.
I’ve gotten a few requests on a small batch baked version made with oat flour which I thought was such a good idea since ya know, small batch baking and oat flour everything is in right now.
Ingredients (+ substitutions)
I slightly based this recipe off of my cinnamon roll in a mug with some changes to make it gluten free and oven baked:
- Oat flour: the cheapest flour that you can just make with rolled oats. Be sure to use gluten free if needed!
- Coconut yogurt: use a thick coconut yogurt that is higher in fat, this will yield a softer and slightly fluffier dough. If your non-dairy yogurt is lower in fat, I’d recommend substituting about 2 tbsp of the yogurt with coconut cream.
- Apple cider vinegar: will help react with the leavers and make them slightly puff up (not as fluffy as yeasted, but does the job!).
- Baking powder (and baking soda): you can get away with not adding the baking soda, it just adds a bit more fluffy-ness.
- Cashew butter: swapping the butter for cashew butter just as a healthier option but you can of course, use any non-dairy butter too. If you need it to be nut-free, substitute with tahini or coconut butter.
- Coconut sugar: to keep these refined sugar free.
How to make it (step-by-step) + tips
- Make the dough: mix the coconut yogurt and apple cider vinegar together. Then add the oat flour, baking powder, baking soda (if using) and salt and mix until thick dough forms. If the dough seems dry, add 1-2 more tablespoons of the yogurt (see photos above for consistency).
- Roll it out: dust your working surface and then transfer the dough on top. Dust the dough with more oat flour and roll it out into a rectangle, about 1/4 of an inch in thickness.
- Filling: spread the cashew butter on the dough and then generously sprinkle on the coconut sugar and cinnamon. Slice the dough using a pizza cuter or sharp knife into 4 strips and then roll each strip up (like this). Unlike yeasted rolls, the dough for these gluten free cinnamon rolls are much more fragile which is why we’re rolling each on individually.
- Bake: place into a small baking dish (I used a 9×5 inch) and bake for about 20 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
Tip: Leaving space between the cinnamon rolls will yield a slightly crispy exterior and will be slightly more dense with a nice chew. If you prefer a gooey, more ‘soft’ outside, you can use a super small baking dish and stick them closer leaving just 1/3 of an inch of space between each one.
Are these small batch cinnamon rolls not the cutest? They’re mini and perfect for two people. Enjoy as is, top off with a quick icing or my favourite maple cashew cream! SO GOOD.
These are definitely on the healthy side and are not super sweet or buttery. Buttt if you’re looking for a healthier alternative, these will definitely satisfy your cravings. If you are looking for a more decadent cinnamon rolls, this recipe might not be for you. Here are more decadent but still healthier ones you might enjoy instead!
More oat flour recipes to try:
- Light & Crispy Oat Flour Waffles
- Oat Flour Banana Bread
- Flourless Oat Flour Banana Muffins
- Fluffy Oat Flour Pancakes
If you recreate this Small Batch Healthy Cinnamon Roll recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Super quick and easy oat flour cinnamon rolls are the perfect healthier treat for when the cravings hit. Vegan & gluten free so everyone can enjoy!
- 2/3 cup non-dairy thick coconut yogurt* (166g // + 1–2 tbsp as needed)
- 1 ½ tsp apple cider vinegar (7g)
- 1 cup oat flour (125g)
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder (7g)
- ½ tsp baking soda, optional
- pinch of salt, optional
- 1/4 cup vegan icing sugar (25g)
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a bowl, add the yogurt and apple cider vinegar and stir until combined. Then add in the oat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix until just combined.
- Flour your working surface with more oat flour and transfer the dough on top. Sprinkle a bit more oat flour on top and then use your hands or a wooden roller and roll the dough into a long rectangle, about 4-5 inches in width about 1/4 of an inch in thickness.
- Spread the cashew butter on the dough and then sprinkle on the coconut sugar and cinnamon. Slice the dough into 4 even strips and then roll each one individually. Place into a small baking dish and bake for 19-22 minutes or until tops are lightly golden brown.
- Drizzle with maple cashew cream or icing and enjoy!
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, north american
- Serving Size: 1 cinnamon roll
- Calories: 237
- Sugar: 9.5
- Sodium: 50mg
- Fat: 8.9
- Saturated Fat: 0.7
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.6
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 33.8
- Fiber: 1.2
- Protein: 6.3
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: oat flour cinnamon rolls, healthy cinnamon rolls, no yeast, small batch
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!