This Japanese Sweet Potato Smoothie is rich, creamy and ultra delicious! Naturally sweetened thanks to the sweet potato and dates and nutty from the tahini. It’s also high in plant-based protein and packed with nutritious ingredients- the ultimate breakfast drink! (Vegan + Gluten Free)
Holy moly summer flew by. I seriously can’t believe we’re heading into September in less than a week?! A part of me is sad that summer is coming to an end but at the same time I am SO ready for fall! I love fall, especially for the foods associated with fall. Pumpkin, cinnamon, apples and yes- Sweet Potatoes! Okay, wait but not just any kind of sweet potatoes though.. JAPANESE Sweet Potatoes!! They are called Satsumaimo (さつまいも) in Japanese and have a purple on the outside and white and creamy on the inside.
And so, since fall is right around the corner I thought it would be a very appropriate time to share one of my absolute favourite fall smoothie: JapaneseSweet Potato Smoothie! Thick and creamy thanks to the Japanese Sweet Potato, banana and tofu. Naturally sweetened with dates. And perfectly balanced with a bit of nuttiness from the tahini. YUM.
What Does Japanese Sweet Potatoes Taste Like?
Japanese Sweet Potatoes literally taste like a sweet dessert cake. Depending on how it is prepared, the flavour and texture can change. If baked or roasted (the ideal preparing method), it becomes golden and very sweet with a slight nutty flavour with a fluffy cake-like texture. The caramelization on this sweet potato is incredible & is the perfect sweet ingredient in desserts and smoothies!
Ingredients for Japanese Sweet Potato Smoothie
- Japanese Sweet Potato
- Tahini – or almond/sunflower seed butter
- Frozen Banana
- Tofu – or non-dairy yogurt
- Soy milk – or any non-dairy milk of choice
- Dates – or sweetener of choice
- & Vanilla – to balance out all the flavours
PLUS you can add in some cinnamon, maca or black sesame seeds to make it extra delicious.
Benefits of Japanese Sweet Potatoes
Japanese Sweet Potatoes are packed with nutrition. Just to name a few:
- high in complex carbs – an amazing source of energy
- rich in B-vitamins
- high in antioxidants
- packed with minerals: mainly potassium, iron & copper
- super satiating
Where to Find Japanese Sweet Potatoes?
I purchase my Japanese Sweet Potatoes from an asian market. I have also seen them at Whole Foods! They become abundant and very cheap in the fall when they’re in season.
How to Make Japanese Sweet Potato Smoothie
When using sweet potatoes in smoothies, you defiantly want to cook them. This is how I like to prep my sweet potatoes for smoothies:
- Scrub and wash the skin of your sweet potato.
- Pat them dry and poke some holes in them with a knife or fork (be careful!).
- Bake in the oven at 400 for 20 minutes. Flip them and bake for another 20-30 minutes. The time will depend on how big your sweet potato is but they should become nice and soft to the touch.
- Once they’re cooled, scrape out the flesh. Use immediately or you can store them for prep!
- In the fridge: they’ll last around 2-3 days in an air tight container
- In the freezer: I like to portion the sweet potato in some silicon ice cube trays. Once they’re frozen, I take them out of the silicon tray and place them into freezer safe containers. They’ll last for months this way but I do like to rotate through them every month or so.
Adding More Nutrition to this Sweet Potato Smoothie
- flax seeds – 1 tbsp to add extra fiber & healthy fats
- hemp seeds – 1 tbsp to boost the omega content
- chia seeds -1 tbsp to add extra healthy fats & protein
- sunflower seeds – 1 tbsp to add extra B-vitamins & vitamin E
More delicious drinks to try:
If you recreate this Japanese Sweet Potato Smoothie recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
This Japanese Sweet Potato Smoothie is thick, creamy and ultra delicious! Naturally sweetened thanks to the sweet potato and dates and nutty from the tahini. It’s also high in plant-based protein and packed with nutritious ingredients- the ultimate breakfast drink! (Vegan + Gluten Free)
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 1/2 block silken tofu (100g)
- 2 soft dates, pitted (20g)
- 1/2 cup Japanese sweet potato, mashed (127g)
- 1 frozen banana (120g)
- 1 tbsp tahini (15g)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup ice, optional
- 1 tsp maca, optional
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, optional
- black sesame seeds to garnish, optional
- Add all the ingredients in the order listed, then blend until smooth and creamy!
Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: Beverages
- Method: Blending
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 518
- Sugar: 43.5g
- Sodium: 150mg
- Fat: 14.8g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.1g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 81g
- Fiber: 10.4g
- Protein: 19.5g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: japanese sweet potato, sweet potato smoothie, tahini smoothie
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!