These Easy Dairy Free + Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes are light, soft and perfectly sweetened. Just 10 Ingredients and 1-bowl required! (Vegan, nut free & oil free)
After sharing my last vegan vanilla cupcake recipe, I got a lot of requests for a version that doesn’t require almond flour.
The almond flour plays a huge roll in moisture and texture so I wasn’t sure how to go about it and tested a couple batches using a couple different gluten free flours but wasn’t that happy with the results.
And then finally, after creating these super fluffy gluten free banana muffins without any almond flour I decided to use the same blend of flours replace the bananas with coconut yogurt and holy moly they baked up so incredibly delicious. I’m talking ultra light, pillow-y soft vanilla infused cupcakes.
How to Make Dairy Free + Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes
These cupcakes are slightly adapted from my original gluten free vanilla cupcake recipe where I’ve replaced the almond flour for another gluten free flour blend to keep these nut-free.
- Canned Lite Coconut Milk: Gives just enough moisture without making the cupcakes taste overly coconut-y.
- Coconut Yogurt: In combination with the coconut milk, keeps these cupcakes super lite and moist. I absolutely love the combination of these two ingredients as an oil free replacer without making things dense. Alternatively, you could also use apple sauce but they do have a slight muffin-like texture (see comparison photo) so please keep that in mind.
- Miso Paste: This ingredient is optional, but it adds an extra depth of flavour that is missing since we’re not using any almond flour (which has a buttery flavour) or butter.
- Baking soda + baking powder: Makes these cupcakes light and fluffy.
- Vanilla Extract: Use good quality vanilla extract!
- Organic Cane Sugar: Please do not use other sweeteners other than cane or white. Other sugars will overpower the vanilla flavour.
- White rice flour, oat flour + potato starch: This is the team of gluten free flours that gives structure and the perfect soft light texture.
These simple gluten free muffins could not be any easier to make. No creaming and no need for any fancy equipment like a stand mixer. All you need is a whisk, spatula and 1-bowl! Here’s how it goes down:
- Add the coconut milk, coconut yogurt, miso paste and vanilla extract to a bowl and whisk until combined. Be sure that the miso paste is dissolved and there are no more clumps.
- Add in the cane sugar, white rice flour, oat flour, potato starch and salt. Then sift in the baking soda and baking powder. I always recommend sifting the baking powder and soda so there are no clumps of it in the batter.
- Divide the batter between 12 cupcake cups, filling them 3/4 of the way full. Then bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until springy to the tough and toothpick inserted in the centre is clean.
- Remove from the oven and let them sit in the pan for 2-3 minutes. Then transfer them onto a wire rack and allow them to cool completely before frosting.
These cupcakes store very well and can be made ahead of time as well. I have some tips on how to best store cupcakes in my other vegan vanilla cupcake recipe.
Tips & Tricks to Making Perfect Gluten Free Cupcakes
- Use a Scale: As always, I highly recommend using a scale and weighing out ingredients for accurate and best results. Especially with light cakes and muffins, the liquid to flour ratio is especially important for texture.
- Baking Powder + Baking Soda: Be sure you’re using fresh baking powder and baking soda. To test, add some with vinegar and if it fizzes, you’re good to go! Also, I always recommend sifting these two ingredients in to prevent clumps of it and to encourage even baking.
- Humidity: I’ve tested these cupcakes over a dozen times and some days were much more humid. The humidity affects the texture of these cupcakes so I do highly suggest NOT baking them when it’s a very humid day or decreasing the coconut milk by 1-2 tbsp.
I hope you guys love and enjoy these simple vanilla cupcakes as much as we do! They truly are a crowd pleaser and perfect for parties, potlucks and movie nights in.
More Delicious Vegan Gluten Free Cakes to Love!
- Almond Flour Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes
- Lemon Cupcakes
- Funfetti Mug Cake
- Banana Snack Cake
- Chocolate Eggplant Cake
- Strawberry Lemon Sheet Cake
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
If you recreate this Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcake recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
These Simple Dairy Free + Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes are light, soft and perfectly sweetened. Just 10 Ingredients and 1-bowl required! (Vegan, nut free & oil free)
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup canned lite coconut milk (310ml)*
- 2/3 cup plain coconut yogurt (155g)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract (15ml)
- 1.5 tsp miso paste, optional (8g)
- 1 cup + 3 tbsp fine oat flour (140g)
- 2/3 cup + 2 tbsp white rice flour (120g)
- 1/4 cup potato starch (30g)
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar (150g)***
- 2 tsp baking powder (10g)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (4g)
- 1 batch of cashew buttercream frosting, chocolate frosting, coconut cream yogurt frosting or coconut whip cream frosting
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F (180 C). Line a cupcake tray with 12 parchment liners.
- Into a mixing bowl, add in the coconut milk, coconut yogurt, miso paste and vanilla extract and whisk together.
- Add in the cane sugar, white rice flour, oat flour, potato starch and salt. Then sift in the baking soda and baking powder and mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter between 12 cupcake cups, filling them 3/4 of the way full. Then bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until springy to the tough and toothpick inserted in the centre is clean.
- Remove from the oven and let them sit in the pan for 2-3 minutes. Then transfer them onto a wire rack and allow them to cool completely before frosting. Enjoy!
- *Be sure to use a coconut yogurt that has been fermented and contains bacteria to ensure it’s acidic enough to react with the baking soda. If unsure, add in 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar.
- Helpful Equipment: cupcake tray, cupcake liners, mixing bowl, spatula, whisk, piping bags, Wilton 2D piping tip
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer) without frosting.
- Recipe adapted from my Vegan Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes & Fluffy Gluten Free Vegan Banana Muffins
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, north american
Keywords: dairy free gluten free vanilla cupcakes, eggless vanilla cupcakes, nut free vanilla cupcakes, vegan vanilla cupcakes
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!