- 1 medium Japanese Sweet Potato (about 300g)
- 2 tbsp oil (30ml)
- 2–3 tbsp of sugar (30g // depending on how sweet you like it)
- 1/2 tsp Japanese soy sauce, optional
- 1–2 tsp vegan butter, optional
- Black sesame seeds, for garnish
- Cut the potatoes rangiri method by rotating the sweet potato as you cut into wedges. They should be roughly 1 inch in size. Soak the sweet potatoes for 10-15 minutes.
- Add oil, sugar to a pan. Add soy sauce and vegan butter if using and mix together. Add the potatoes and turn the heat to medium heat. Cover with a lid and then when you hear it beginning to bubble, swirl the pan. Turn the heat down to medium low – low and let it cook for 8 minutes undisturbed. Flip the potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes or until soft.
- Remove the lid and pan fry for another 2-3 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Quickly remove from the stove over a parchment paper (helps prevent sticking to plates), garnish with sesame seeds and enjoy!
- If you prefer a less crispy version, add 1/4 tsp of vinegar to the sauce.