Elevate simple baked tofu with this crispy coconut crusted tofu recipe that can be made in the oven or air fryer! Easy to make and is delicious served solo with a sweet chili dipping sauce or tossed in salads and buddha bowls. Vegan + Gluten Free Option
This is the tofu you never knew you needed.
Like, tofu with a crispy coconut crust. Tofu that you can dip n’ eat as a snack. Tofu that is fabulous tossed in just about anything.
This coconut crusted tofu will change the way you see (or taste) crispy tofu.
Why you’ll be raving about this crispy coconut tofu:
- It’s hella easy to make.
- It’s made with accessible and pantry staple ingredients.
- It’s vegan AND can be made gluten free.
- It’s packed with plant based protein.
- It’s fantastic for meal prep.
- It goes with like… with everything.
- It’s just so damn delicious.
Convinced? Alright, let’s get to it.
How to Bread Tofu (Properly)
Type of Tofu
First, let’s talk about the tofu. Firm or extra firm tofu is ideal for baking tofu so that it can be pressed without breaking apart. My all time favourite hack is freezing an defrosting the tofu– automatic tofu press! And it changes the texture (in a good way).
Time to give the tofu some flavour including soy sauce, coconut sugar and ginger for the perfect balance of sweet n’ salty. The tofu will soak up this marinade in no time if you use the freezer method.
Next, mix non dairy milk, lime juice, flour, garlic powder and salt into a bowl. This will be our egg and dredge replacement. And then in another bowl, mix together the panko and coconut shreds.
Dip the tofu into the batter and then into the coconut coating. I kind of like to press it on to ensure it’s fully coated.
Oven Baked Version
Place the breaded tofu on a lined baking tray and bake them for 15 minutes on one side, flip and then for another 10-15 minutes until they’re crispy and golden brown.
Air Fryer Version
You can totally use your air fryer to speed up the process! Just air fry them for 7 minutes on one side, flip and bake for another 5-7 minutes. I love air fryers because they literally take half the amount of cooking time (thank you air fryer ❤️).
Tips to Achieve Crispy Crusted Tofu
- Work Flow: Use your left hand to dunk the tofu into the batter mixture and then your right hand to coat the tofu with the breading. This prevents your fingers from becoming a mess.
- Panko vs. Breadcrumbs: Panko is made with bread without the crust which yields a lighter, airy and more crispy crust.
- Refrain from Over Crowding the Pan: Like with most baked things, make sure there is room for the tofu to crisp up or else the crust ends up soggy.
What I love about this baked tofu is that a. it’s a nice change from just baking it up in soy sauce and spices and b. it pairs well with so many different ingredients and compliments all kinds of dishes.
- Tossed in buddha bowls, roasted vegetable bowls salads and grain bowls
- Paired with sweet chili sauce, coconut curry sauce or simple lemon tahini
- Solo dipped in sweet chili sauce or with a spritz of lime juice
So easy, so versatile, so damn delicious!! My favourite forever ♡.
More Vegan Tofu Recipes to Love
If you recreate this Coconut Crusted Tofu Recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Coconut Crusted Tofu is light, crispy and easy to make in the oven or air fryer! Delicious in salads, grain bowls or right off the pan with sweet chili dip.
- 1 14 oz extra firm tofu (400g // frozen, defrosted and cubed into 3/4 inch pieces)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (45g)
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (24g)
- 1/2 tbsp ginger, grated
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (120ml)
- 2 tsp lime juice (8ml)
- 3 tbsp gluten free flour (23g)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F.
- In a shallow bowl combine the soy sauce, coconut sugar and ginger. Add in the cubed tofu and toss in the marinate. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl mix together the non dairy milk, lime juice, gluten free flour, garlic powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the panko and coconut shreds.
- Dip the tofu into the batter then into the coating and place on a prepared baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes and then flip the tofu and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with sweet chili sauce, lime juice or with a grain bowl!
Air Fryer Version
- Follow all instructions above. Instead of baking, place tofu pieces into air fryer at 400 F for 7 minutes. Flip the tofu pieces and then bake for another 5-7 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown.
- Category: entree
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 306
- Sugar: 7.2
- Sodium: 1292mg
- Fat: 16.3g
- Saturated Fat: 7.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.3g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 23.6g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 18.3g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: coconut crusted tofu, baked tofu, crispy tofu
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!