These Breakfast Banana Oatmeal Cookies are soft, chewy and incredibly easy to make! The perfect grab n’ go breakfast or quick snack loaded with healthy ingredients. This recipe is also vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free.
Have you ever woken up and just craved cookies for breakfast? Yeah, me too.
Well friends, look no further because today I’m bringing you a vegan banana oatmeal cookie recipe that is not only highly delicious, but also healthy enough to eat for breakfast!
These cookies kind of remind me of banana muffins or banana bread. They’re soft, chewy and kinda fluffy… yet still have all the properties of a cookie- I mean just look at ’em! Charming.
Secrets to the Best Healthy Banana Oatmeal Cookies
First things first, we need to talk about the kind of oats used to make perfect flourless banana oatmeal cookies: quick oats. I tested them with rolled oats but they were kind of too thick and dense for my liking but quick oats keeps these cookies perfectly soft and chewy. I also added in some almond flour for some healthy fats and it gives it a lighter texture.
Since these are oatmeal cookies, we’re going back to the basics. These cookies are made with a base of the oldest (and the best IMO) healthy baking tricks out there: bananas. Bananas are a great oil and egg replacer because it keeps these oatmeal cookies moist while binding the rest of the ingredients together so they actually form a cookie.
Next, I wanted to opt for a refined sugar free sweetener so of course, I turned to my ever so favourite coconut sugar. If you want to keep these low in sugar or sugar free, you can totally reduce or omit the sugar to your liking.
Now lets talk flavours. Because I already knew I wanted to make chocolate banana oatmeal cookies, what better pairing is there than peanut butter? Again, you can totally use another nut or seed butter or even omit it all together and replace it with a bit more banana.
The thing I love about these chewy banana oatmeal cookies is that you can really add almost anything to them!
Don’t want to have chocolate for breakfast? Totally understandable– go with your favourite dried fruit like raisins or cranberries and chopped nuts like walnuts or almonds. Ouuu, flaked coconut or even fresh blueberries would be totes delicious. There are no rules to these cookies ya’ll.
How to Make Breakfast Banana Oatmeal Cookies
These easy banana oatmeal cookies are not only are made with the simplest of ingredients, but they’re also ready in about 15 minutes– perfect for mornings!
- Mash the banana and stir in the coconut sugar, peanut butter, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
- Add in the quick oats, almond flour, baking powder and mix until a dough forms.
- Fold in any of your favourite add-ins.
- Mold them into cookies and bake them up for 15 minutes!
They’re just as easy as making a bowl of oatmeal, wouldn’t you say?
Tips For Vegan Oatmeal Banana Cookies
- Use ripe bananas: Use fresh, riper bananas for better and sweeter cookies.
- No Quick Oats: No problem! Take your rolled oats and blitz them in the food processor a couple times until it resembles quick oats. If you really want to use rolled oats, I recommend letting the cookie batter sit for 10 minutes so they have time to absorb the moisture. Be sure to use gluten free certified oats to make gluten free banana oatmeal cookies.
- Re-heat Leftovers: I think they taste better warm so I microwave them for around 10 seconds and they taste like they just came out of the oven!
How to Store
- Refrigerator: keep them in a air tight container covered for up to 4 days.
- Freezer: once cooled, store them in a freezer safe container or bag for up to 3 months. They defrost quite quickly but you can microwave them for a few seconds to warm them up.
I hope you try and love these Vegan Breakfast Banana Oatmeal Cookies as much as I do! They are delightful with a cup of coffee, by the way. 😉
Wishing you all many happy mornings to come with these delectable breakfast cookies ❤️
More Vegan Breakfasts Made with Bananas!
- Vegan Banana Blender Muffins
- Healthy Banana Oatmeal Bars
- Vegan Banana Protein Muffins
- Easy Vegan Banana Bread
If you recreate this Breakfast Banana Oatmeal Cookies recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
These Vegan Breakfast Banana Oatmeal Cookies are soft, chewy and incredibly easy to make! The perfect grab n’ go breakfast or quick snack loaded with healthy ingredients.
- 1 extra large ripe banana (3/4 cup // 175g)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (50g // can omit or reduce amount)
- 2 tbsp peanut butter (30g // or nut/seed butter of choice)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free quick oats (112g)
- 1/2 cup almond flour (58)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Into a mixing bowl, mash the banana until pureed. Add in the coconut sugar, peanut butter, vanilla, cinnamon and salt and mix to combine.
- Add in the quick oats, almond flour and baking powder and mix until a dough forms. Fold in any add-ins if using.
- Divide the dough into 9-10 equal sized cookies. Roll them into balls and then flatten them with the palm of your hands. Place onto to lined cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes, rotating the tray half way.
- Let them cool on the baking sheet for 3-4 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool for another 5 minutes before eating.
- Storage: Keep cookies in an air tight container covered, refrigerated for up to 4 days.
- Helpful Equipment: mixing bowls, spatula, cookie baking sheet, parchment paper, silpat
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer) without add-ins.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 145
- Sugar: 8.1
- Sodium: 168mg
- Fat: 6.5
- Saturated Fat: 1.3
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 19.7
- Fiber: 2.9
- Protein: 3.5
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: breakfast cookies, banana oatmeal cookies, almond flour breakfast cookies, healthy oatmeal cookies, banana bread cookies
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!