These Vegan Blueberry Brownies are incredibly rich, fudgy and made with healthier ingredients! The perfect sweet chocolate treat for the spring and summer season. (Naturally sweetened, Gluten Free + Oil Free)
We all know strawberries and chocolate is a classic combo. Raspberries and chocolate? Another lovely pair. But have you tried blueberries and chocolate together?! If you haven’t, you’re totes missing out. This idea came to me when I was making a batch of my blueberry oatmeal cookies and threw in some chocolate chips on a whim. They came out even more delicious– I mean how can they not? Chocolate make everything x100 better!
Then I started adding blueberries and chocolate chips into my waffles and pancakes… I’m not exaggerating– this has become my ultimate favourite add-ins to pancakes and waffles.
Whats next? Brownies. I’ve been craving some fudgy brownies for some time now and had a pint of blueberry begging to be added in.
There are a couple essential things I look for in a brownie:
- Fudgy factor
- and most importantly… NOT being overly sweet (it ruins the incredible chocolate flavour IMO)
I find most recipes call for so much sugar it overrides the actual flavour of the chocolate. Since we’re adding in blueberries, I didn’t want the sweetness to overtake the lovely flavour of the blueberries as well.
So here are the ingredients that came together for the perfectly textures + flavoured vegan brownies:
- Soft Tofu + Tapioca Starch: Replaces the eggs, adds moisture and gives that super fudgy texture. The tapioca starch helps bind the brownie together so they’re not overly crumbly.
- Maple Syrup: Adds natural sweetness and moisture.
- Coffee: If avoiding caffeine, use decaf or non dairy milk but it does add a incredible flavour!
- Cashew Butter + (Browned) Coconut Butter: The star players in making these super rich and decadent.
- Oat Flour: Adds that chewy texture.
- Cocoa Powder: Use high quality cocoa or cacao for best flavour.
- Chocolate Chips: Don’t skip the chocolate, its what makes brownies.. brownies!!
- Blueberries: Pureed AND folded into the batter– plus some for topping!
I also added baking soda to give it a slight lift but it can be omitted for a denser brownie.
How to Make Blueberry Brownies + Tips
Simply add the wet ingredients + portioned amount of blueberries first EXCEPT the coconut butter and blend until smooth. Blending the other wet ingredients first brings the mixture to room temperature so that when you go in and add the coconut butter, it won’t firm up as much. I should also note that this recipe is easier to work with in a warmer kitchen (prevents the coconut butter from solidifying again).
Then add in the dry ingredients and blend until a thick batter forms. The batter is quite thick, so don’t be alarmed! Fold in the blueberries and chocolate chips and then transfer the batter to a baking pan. Top with more blueberries and chocolate chips for extra deliciousness.
Bake them for about 16-19 minutes (they were perfect at 17 minutes for me all 3 times I’ve tested them). Go with 16 minutes for super fudgy brownies and 19 minutes for cake-y brownies.
The hardest part is waiting for them to cool but this is a must! If you cut into them too early, they’ll fall apart.
These brownies would be perfect for BBQ’s this spring and summer, or just as a healthy treat to have on hand for when you’re craving something sweet and chocolate-y. They’re delicious hot but they are incredible right out of the freezer as well! Think freezer fudge but with a nice dense bite to it. YUM.
More Delicious Vegan Chocolate Recipes to Try!
- Vegan Chocolate Mousse (Made with Tofu!)
- Flourless Chocolate Rum Cake
- Eggplant Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Silk Torte
- Fudgy Mug Brownie
- Caramel Black Bean Brownies
- No Bake Cookie Dough Brownies
- Flourless Pumpkin Brownies
If you recreate this Blueberry Brownie recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Fudgy, easy vegan Blueberry Brownies studded with juicy blueberries made with healthy ingredients in a food processor! Naturally sweetened, gluten free and oil free!
- 1/3 cup soft tofu (80g)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (100g)
- ¼ cup cashew butter (60g)
- 1/3 cup coffee (80g // or non dairy milk)
- ½ tbsp vanilla extract (8g)
- ½ cup coconut butter, melted (120g)
- 1/3 cup oat flour (80g)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (38g)
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch (20g)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon (3g // optional)
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided (90g)
- 1 1/3 cup blueberries, divided (135g)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F (180 C). Line or grease a 8×8 inch metal baking tin.
- Add the tofu, 1/2 cup (50g) of blueberries, maple syrup, coffee, cashew butter, salt and cinnamon into a food processor and blend until tofu is smooth. Pour in the melted coconut butter and blend again until combined.
- Add the oat flour, cocoa powder, tapioca starch and baking soda and blend until a thick batter forms. Fold in 1/2 cup of blueberries and 1/3 cup of chocolate chips.
- Transfer to prepared baking pan and smooth out the top with a spatula. Press in remaining blueberries and 2 tbsp of chocolate chips. Bake for 16-19 minutes. 16 minutes results in super fudgy brownies and 19 minutes is slightly more cakey. The tops of the brownie should look cooked with a nice sheen.
- Remove from the oven and let the brownies cook in the pan for 5 minutes. Then remove from the pan and let them cool comepltly on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 276
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 50mg
- Fat: 16.9g
- Saturated Fat: 10.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0.09g
- Carbohydrates: 31.4g
- Fiber: 5.8g
- Protein: 5.6g
- Cholesterol: 2.30mg
Keywords: blueberry brownies, fudgy vegan brownies, gluten free brownies, healthy brownies, oat flour brownies
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!