Learn how to make umami packed vegetarian oyster sauce with this easy step by step recipe! This vegan mushroom stir fry sauce is perfect substitution for any recipe that calls for oyster sauce.
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms (approx. 20g, rehydrated in 1 cup of hot water until soft)
- 2 tsp miso paste (10g)
- 1 1/2 – 2 tsp salt (6g)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (15ml // tamari for gluten free)
- 2–3 tsp dark mushroom soy sauce (12ml // gluten free as needed)
- 2 tsp corn starch + 1 tbsp water (6g)
- 1/3 cup cane sugar (62g // or granulated sugar of choice)
- 2 1/2 tbsp water (37ml)
- 2 1/2 tbsp hot water (37ml)
- Mushroom mixture: Pour the soaking water through a fine mesh sieve to remove any excess dirt. Cut the softened rehydrated mushrooms with scissors (optional, you can skip this step if you have a high speed blender). Blend the soaking water and mushrooms until smooth.
- Caramel: In a saucepan over medium heat add sugar and water. Do not mix or swirl the pan. Let the mixture bubble until amber in colour. Turn off the heat and then add in the hot water. Be careful as the water may splash due to the vigorous bubbling. Stir the caramel– at this point it should be slightly runny and smooth.
- Finishing the sauce: Add the blended mushroom mixture to the saucepan and stir with the caramel sauce. Turn the heat back on over low to medium low. Add the soy sauce, dark soy sauce, miso paste, salt and any additional seasonings of choice and whisk until well combined. Then drizzle in the corn starch slurry while continuing to whisk until thickened to desired consistency. The mixture will thicken more as it cools. Taste and adjust the saltiness to your liking.
- Store: Remove from heat and once cooled, transfer to an air tight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Category: sauces
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, chinese, gluten free
- Serving Size: 2 tbsp (32g)
- Calories: 33
- Sugar: 5.9g
- Sodium: 445mg
- Fat: 0.08g
- Saturated Fat: 0.01g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.05g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 8.1g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: vegetarian oyster sauce, vegan stir fry sauce, mushroom sauce