Crunchy tofu katsu served with white rice and a rich Japanese curry sauce! So hearty, flavourful and is truly the ultimate comfort dish. (Vegan + Gluten free option)
- 1 recipe Vegan Japanese Curry
- 2 servings of cooked rice
- 400g medium firm or tofu, double frozen & thawed
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour or rice flour for gluten free (22g)
- 1/3 cup aquafaba (80ml // or substitute 1/3 cup water + 1 tbsp corn starch)
- 1/2–3/4 cup panko (30-45g // gluten free panko if needed)
- 2 tsp oil, optional (10g)
- If using medium firm tofu, freeze the tofu. Thaw, press and then freeze. Then thaw, and press again. If using firm tofu, press the tofu for 40 minutes, freeze, thaw and press for another 30 minutes. Note: Alternatively for a quicker version, you can freeze sliced firm tofu overnight, thaw, microwave on high and squeeze as much water out of it as you can.
- Slice the tofu into 4 squares. You can use the tofu as is or cut them into irregular shapes to make them look more like pork katsu.
- Line up 3 shallow bowls. Add the flour to one, aquafaba to the next and panko to the third. Add the oil to the aquafaba bowl and stir (if using- this helps prevent the panko from detaching when frying).
- Dredge the tofu into the flour and remove any excess flour. Dip into the aquafaba. Dredge into the panko, ensuring you get a nice even coat on each side and around the edges. Gently shake off any excess panko and then lightly press the tofu between your hands.
- Add oil to a heavy bottom pot about 1 1/2 – 2 inches in height. Heat the oil over medium high heat and wait until the oil is heated to 320 F. If you don’t have a thermometer, add a piece of panko to the oil, if it floats up then it’s ready to start frying.
- Place 1-2 pieces of the katsu into the oil and deep fry for a few minutes (about 1 – 1/2 minutes) without moving it around. When it gets golden brown, carefully flip it over and cook for another 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the katsu with tongs or chopsticks and then place on a paper-lined wire rack or plate. Repeat until all of them are fried
- Follow steps 1-4 from above. Pre-heat air fryer to 375 F. Spray the air fryer basket and katsu with oil (optional, but will make them more crispy and ‘fried’). Place the tofu katsu into the basket and air fry for about 6-8 minutes or until light golden brown. Flip and air fry for another 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Follow steps 1-3 from above. Pre-heat oven to 400 F. Place a oven-safe wire rack onto a baking sheet (or parchment paper).
- In a pan over medium heat, add the panko and spray with oil. Cook until golden brown. Remove from heat and add to the third bowl. Then follow step 4 from above.
- Place the tofu katsu onto the wire rack and bake for 10-12 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Add cooked rice to a shallow bowl along with the curry. Top with katsu and enjoy!
- Helpful Equipment:
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: entree
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, japanese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
Keywords: tofu katsu, vegan katsu, vegan japanese curry, vegan katsu curry, tofu katsu curry, baked katsu