This Vegan Tempeh Tuna Casserole is lightened up, easy to prepare and incredibly delicious. Made with tempeh, dairy free cheese, mushrooms, peas and gluten free pasta. It’s the perfect healthy comfort food!
- 1/2 cup gluten free bread crumbs (30g // can also use gluten free corn chips)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter, optional
- 8 oz gluten free pasta (224g // any shape, I used curly elbows)
- 8 oz tempeh (224g // or 1 cup chickpeas for soy free)
- 1 small onion, diced (100g)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup button mushrooms, chopped (112g)
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper (optional seasonings: 1 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp mustard powder, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika)
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch (14g // or gluten free all purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 cup cashew milk (375ml // or any non-dairy milk)
- 1 tbsp miso paste, optional (20g)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (16g)
- 1 cup vegan meltable cheese (112g // I used daiya shredded cheddar)
- 3/4 cup frozen peas (120g)
- Pre your heat oven to 400 F (200 C). Crumble tempeh with your hands until pieces are broken up. If using chickpeas, lightly mash with a fork or potato masher. Mix the vegan butter and bread crumbs in a small bowl.
- Cook the noodles util ad dente following the directions on the package. Once cooked, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- In a large pot or skillet over medium high heat, fry the onions, garlic and mushrooms until lightly browned (5 minutes) in vegan butter or water. Add in the salt, pepper, optional seasonings and tapioca starch and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in the milk while still stirring. Add in the miso paste and nutritional yeast and continue to whisk until smooth and there are no lumps of starch or miso paste. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium low and let it simmer for 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Add in the vegan cheese and stir until fully melted. Add in the mashed tempeh and peas and stir to combine. If your pot is large enough, add in the pasta and mix until everything is well coated. Or if your sauce pan is too small, pour the cheese sauce mix into the pasta pot and stir until everything is well coated in the sauce.
- Transfer to a 8×8 inch baking dish. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture on top of the casserole and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until tops are slightly golden brown.
- Serve immediately. Top with scallions and red pepper flakes for a bit of heat. Store cooled leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: Entree
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 532
- Sugar: 6.2g
- Sodium: 949mg
- Fat: 17.2g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 70.5g
- Fiber: 8.6g
- Protein: 25.5g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: vegan tuna noodle casserole, gluten free casseroles