Learn how to make these Vegan Take Away Sushi Rolls that are packed with vegetables and tofu. They’re just like the ones sold in the streets of Japan and are perfect on-the-go meal! Gluten-free.
- 4 strips pre-cooked kanpyo (gourd strips)*
- 1 Japanese cucumber (or 2 Persian cucumbers)
- 4 strips pickled daikon
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 block smoked tofu
- Prepare the rice by adding 2 cups of rice cooker cups into your rice cooker and adding water until the #2 line.
- Next, prepare the filling ingredients by cutting them into strips (they can be half the length of the nori sheet or the full length, around 1cm in thickness).
- Prepare your work station by lining up the nori, sushi (covered with a damp cloth) and your fillings
- Place a nori sheet smooth side down on a bamboo sushi rolling mat. The nori should be placed at the end of the mat closest to you for easy rolling.
- Wet your hands with the vinegar water and scoop out 1/4th of the rice. Spread and gently press the rice over the nori (without squishing the rice), leaving 1.5-2 cm at the top uncovered.
- Place your filling onto the nori sheet starting with firmer fillings (such as tofu or pickled radish) towards the bottom (this makes it easier to roll the ingredients over without it getting too messy).
- Starting from the bottom, use your thumb and index finger to hold the mat and sushi rice while using your middle, ring and pinky finger to hold the fillings on top. In one swift motion, bring the roll over top of the other fillings (in the direction away from you) and tightly squeeze.
- Lift the bamboo mat and roll until again and tightly squeeze. Continue until you’re at the top of the roll.
- The bamboo mat should be covering the entire roll at the end and give it one last gentle but tight squeeze.
- Remove the mat and then with a sharp knife, cut straight down the middle.
- After each cut, wipe the knife with a wet towel so the rice doesn’t stick to the knife.
Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: Entree
- Method: Rice Cooker
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Serving Size: 1 roll
- Calories: 211
- Sugar: 2.8g
- Sodium: 69g
- Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 35.6g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Protein: 6.6g
- Cholesterol: 0g
Keywords: vegan sushi, vegetable sushi rolls, sushi burrito