This Vegan Spicy Stir Fried Squid (Ojingeo bokkeum) is the the perfect side dish to pair with freshly cooked rice. Made with konjac to replace the squid and loaded with vegetables, this healthy Korean spicy stir fry comes together in under 20 minutes for a quick and easy weeknight meal!
- 1 package white konjac (225g)
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated (approx. 22g)
- 1/2 onion, sliced (80g)
- 1/2 carrot, sliced (60g)
- 2 scallions, chopped (35g)
- 2 tsp sesame oil (10g)
- 1–2 tsp toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Prepare the konjac: Remove konjac from the package. If you do not like the fishy flavour of konjac, bring a pot of water to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Otherwise, rinse the konjac and then slice it in half. Cut each half again, you should end up with 4 squares (refer to video). Score each side diagonally about 1/4 of an inch of space between each cut.
- Prepare the vegetables: Slice the vegetables into roughly the same size pieces (about 1 1/2 inches in length).
- Cook: Over high heat, add 1 1/2 tbsp oil to a large pan. Add the onions, shiitake mushrooms and carrots. Then add the white parts of the scallions. Stir fry the vegetables just until the carrots are wilted and onions are slightly translucent (about 1 1/2 minutes). Add the konjac, green part of the scallions and sauce. Stir fry and mix until everything is well coated with the sauce. Turn off the heat, drizzle in sesame oil and sprinkle in sesame seeds. Remove pan from heat and serve immediately with rice.
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: side dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, korean
- Serving Size: 1 serving
Keywords: vegan squid, vegan korean stir fry