Mind blowing salted caramel sauce kissed with a touch of soy sauce. This umami rich soy sauce caramel is perfect over desserts and can be added to savory dishes too!
Homemade Version #1 (RSF + OF)
- 2/3 cup coconut cream (160ml)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp coconut sugar (128g)
- 3 tbsp Japanese soy sauce (45ml)
Homemade Version #2
- 1/2 cup granulated cane sugar (100g)
- 3 tbsp vegan butter (40g)
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (60ml)
- 4 tsp water (20ml)
- 1 1/2 – 2 tbsp soy sauce (30ml)
- 3/4 cup vegan caramel sauce (180g)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (30g)
Homemade Version #1:
- Into a sauce pan over medium to medium high heat, add in the coconut cream and sugar stirring until sugar is dissolved. The mixture will start to bubble and thicken, continue to stir so the bottom does not burn (about 5-8 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in soy sauce and vanilla extract.
- Serve immediately or keep in the refrigerator for up to one week. This caramel sauce will thicken as it cools but still be pourable and drizzle-able.
Homemade Version #2 *Updated*:
- Add cane sugar and water to a high wall saucepan. Turn on the heat over medium. DO NOT STIR, wait until it becomes auburn in colour.
- Remove from heat and then whisk in the butter. Slowly drizzle in the cream and whisk until melted and combined. Be careful as you add it in as it will vigorously start to bubble.
- If you have any clumps of sugar, place back onto the stove over low heat and allow for it to melt. Remove from heat, pour into a glass storing container and cool. The caramel will thicken as it cools.
- If caramel sauce is thick, microwave it for 10-15 seconds until stir-able. Add in the soy sauce and whisk until well combined. Serve and enjoy!
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: sauces
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, japanese
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 36
- Sugar: 6.1g
- Sodium: 99mg
- Fat: 1.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 6.2g
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: soy sauce caramel, vegan salted caramel sauce