Take salted caramel to the next level by spiking it with soy sauce! This savory-sweet Soy Sauce Caramel is umami-rich and brilliant over ice cream, cheesecake, pies and more!
I recently came across this article 13 Japanese Ice Creams with Surprising Toppings & Flavours… needless to say some of them were really out there. One did peak my interest though: Soy Sauce Soft Serve.
I’ve heard about this flavour before from my moms friend that visited the Kikkoman’s Soy Sauce Museum in Chiba. There, they sell soy sauce flavoured soft serve (and all kinds of other soy sauce desserts and snacks) and apparently it’s incredibly tasty. When I posted this concept on instagram I got a few messages saying that they had tried it and it was delicious too!
I did a bit more research about soy sauce soft serve in Japan and there are actually a few different hot spots that serve this unique dessert. Some infuse the soy sauce into the actual ice cream while others drizzle a soy sauce caramel over or swirl it in. I loved the idea of soy sauce caramel.
I was so keen on trying it I took some left over caramel sauce and drizzled in a bit of soy sauce. Friends, this umami-kissed soy sauce caramel… blew me away. I needed more ASAP so here we are with a incredibly easy salted soy caramel recipe.
How to Make Soy Sauce Caramel
Essentially we’re going to make vegan caramel sauce and spike it with some soy sauce. Vegan caramel sauce can easily be made with just two ingredients:
- Full Fat Coconut Milk: Coconut cream can also be used here. The caramel gets a little thicker so it depends what consistency you’re going for.
- Coconut Sugar: Or any granulated sugar. I always use coconut sugar here because it does add that caramel depth of flavour.
And of course we’re going to need the soy sauce. Start with 2 tablespoons, taste and add 1-2 tsp more. Note the flavour deepens as it cools.
If you already have vegan caramel sauce on hand, you can simply stir in about 2 tbsp of soy sauce and use it right away!
Making homemade caramel is really easy! Allow me to shoyu:
- Stir the coconut milk and coconut sugar in a saucepan. Stir continuously as it starts to bubble and thicken for about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the soy sauce and let it cool for a couple minutes before serving.
And the quick version just requires you to stir the caramel sauce and soy sauce together until combined.
I’m already thinking about all the ways this incredible salted caramel sauce can be used in. Cheesecake… pies… brownies… and of course ice cream! And it doesn’t just have to be desserts– add it to stir fries for a touch of sweetness (kinda like teriyaki!).
This Soy Sauce Caramel is Perfect for:
- Caramel Black Bean Brownies
- No Bake Caramel Cookies
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Buns
- Salted Caramel Cheesecake Bars
- Drizzled over Air Fried Fruits, waffles, pancakes & more!
More Vegan Caramel Recipes:
SAVE IT FOR LATER!
If you recreate this Vegan Salted Soy Caramel recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Mind blowing salted caramel sauce kissed with a touch of soy sauce. This umami rich soy sauce caramel is perfect over desserts and can be added to savory dishes too!
- 1/3 cup full fat coconut milk (132ml)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (108g)
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp soy sauce (35-40ml)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, optional
- 3/4 cup vegan caramel sauce (180g)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (30g)
- Into a sauce pan over medium, add in the coconut milk and sugar stirring until sugar is dissolved. The mixture will start to bubble and thicken, continue to stir so the bottom does not burn (about 5-8 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in soy sauce and vanilla extract.
- Serve immediately or keep in the refrigerator for up to one week. This caramel sauce will thicken as it cools but still be pourable and drizzle-able.
- If caramel sauce is thick, microwave it for 10-15 seconds until stir-able. Add in the soy sauce and whisk until well combined. Serve and enjoy!
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: sauces
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, japanese
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 36
- Sugar: 6.1g
- Sodium: 99mg
- Fat: 1.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 6.2g
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: soy sauce caramel, vegan salted caramel sauce
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!