Soboro Don (Ground ‘Chicken’ Bowl’) is a simple Japanese rice bowl topped with seasoned grounds, scrambled eggs and green vegetables. This vegan three-colour rice bowl is cheap, quick and so easy to make! Perfect for weeknights or for packing bento lunches.
- 3/4 cup (~150 g) plant based grounds of choice*
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sake
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) mirin
- 1 tbsp (13 g) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ginger, grated with juice
Tofu Egg Scramble:
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cooking oil
- 80g soft tofu
- 1/8 – 1/4 tsp black salt
- 2 tsp (10 g) sugar
- pinch of turmeric, optiional for colour
- salt, to taste
- 1 bowl (225 g) of cooked Japanese short grain rice
- 2–3 tbsp frozen peas, thawed
- pickled ginger (beni shoga)
- Over medium high heat, add the plant based grounds to a pan and cook until heated through, breaking up large chunks with a wooden spoon.
- Add the sake, mirin and sugar and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the soy sauce and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the ginger and cook until all the liquid is well absorbed. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired (this dish is typically on the sweeter side).
- Once cooked, transfer to another bowl.
- Add 1 tsp of cooking oil to the pan over medium-high heat. Break up the soft tofu with your hands and then use a wooden spatula to continue to mash it into medium chunks (they will continue to break down). Add the black salt, sugar, turmeric and salt. Continue to cook and gently mash the tofu until liquid is evaporated and the tofu is cooked through (about 2-3 mins).
- Transfer to another bowl.
- Top the bowl with rice with the seasoned grounds, tofu egg scramble, peas and pickled ginger. Serve and enjoy!
- *you can also opt to use extra firm, medium firm or firm tofu that has been frozen and thawed. Freeze the tofu, thaw in the refrigerator and squeeze as much liquid as you can. Then crumble it until it resembled ‘grounds’ and use the same amount listed.
- Category: entree
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: japanese
Keywords: rice bowl, tofu rice bowl