Learn how to make authentic Vegan Okonomiyaki at home! Fluffy, chewy & so flavourful! The perfect veggie loaded Japanese savory pancake for any meal.
- 1/2 lbs yamaimo / chinese yam (250g)*
- 1 tsp kombu seaweed dashi
- 3 tbsp rice flour or all purpose flour (30g)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 spring onions, chopped (30g)
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated (60g)
- 2 tbsp tenkasu / tempura scraps (20g // see blog post on how to make it at home)
- 2 cups finely chopped cabbage (180g cabbage)
- 1 heaping tbsp beni shoga (25g // or half the amount if using fresh thinly sliced ginger)
- Use a peeler to remove skin off the yamaimo and grate into a large mixing bowl. Yamaimo is very slimy and slippery to be careful when using a grater.
- Add in the dashi, rice flour and salt and stir to combine. Add in the green onions, sliced shiitake mushrooms, tenkasu, cabbage and beni shoga and mix until well combined and everything is coated in the batter.
- Heat a large pan or griddle on high and grease with oil. Once heated, bring the temperature to medium (400 F / 200 C), add half the batter and spread it into a circle about 2 cm in thickness. If flipping a large pancake intimidates you, make smaller pancakes so it’s easier to flip. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Once the bottom of the pancake is golden brown, use two turners and flip the pancake. Cover and cook for another 5-6 minutes. Transfer to a plate and repeat for the next pancake.
- To serve, place the pancake on a plate and drizzle with okonomiyaki sauce, Japanese vegan mayo and garnish with green onions, anori (nori) and more beni shoga.
- Category: entree
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, japanese
Keywords: okonomiyaki, vegan vegetable pancake, japanese savory pancakes