Vegan Mentaiko recipe– perfect for onigiri, sushi and eating with fresh rice!
- 1/2 cup amaranth (90g)
- 1 umeboshi Japanese pickled plum (10g)
- 1 tsp doubanjiang (5g)
- 1 tsp sake (5ml)
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce (3ml)
- 1/2 tsp miso paste (3g)
- 1 cup + 1/3 cup water (320ml)
- 1 pack dashi granules (5g)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Rinse amaranth and then add it to a small pot. Over medium heat, heat the amarath with the sake. Cook until the alcohol cooks off. Add the umeboshi, water and dashi granules and stir to dissolve. Bring the pot to a boil and then reduce the heat down to low. Simmer covered for 20-25 minutes or until cooked.
- When cooked, season with everything else. Transfer to air tight container. Allow it to cool and then use as is or store in the refrigerator covered for up to 5 days.
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).