These Vegan Lemon Cupcakes topped with a light coconut yogurt cream frosting are soft, moist and bursting with citrus flavour! The perfect easy cupcakes for spring and summer. (Gluten Free + Oil Free)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (120ml)
- 1 7.5 oz block of silken tofu, blended (210g // or runny non-dairy yogurt)*
- 1/3 + 1 tbsp maple syrup (120g)
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp oat flour (174g)
- 1 1/4 cup fine almond flour (144g)
- 2 tbsp potato starch (12g)
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
Coconut Yogurt Frosting
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F (180 C). Line a muffin or cupcake tray with muffin liners and set aside.
- Add lemon juice, silken tofu (or yogurt), maple syrup, vanilla extract and lemon zest to a bowl and whisk to combine. Add in the oat flour, almond flour, tapioca starch, baking soda and salt and whisk until everything is well combined.
- Divide the batter between 10-12 cupcake liners. Place into the oven and bake for 22-26 minutes, keeping an eye on them at the last 3 minutes. Check doneness by inserting a toothpick into the middle of a cupcake– it should come out clean or with a few cooked crumbs.
- Remove from the oven and let it sit for 1-2 minutes in the pan. Then carefully, remove the cupcakes from the tin and allow them to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- To make the coconut yogurt frosting, spoon coconut cream into a cold metal bowl. Use a electric hand mixer and whip until it starts to get fluffy. Add in powdered sugar or maple syrup and whip again. Then add in non dairy yogurt 1 tbsp at a time until fluffy. If you notice it starts to melt down, stick the frosting back into the fridge and allow it to firm up again. This will depend on the brand of coconut cream and coconut yogurt you use. See post for recommendations on the best coconut cream for frosting.
- Once the coconut frosting is firm and the cupcakes are cooled, pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and enjoy!
- *Either silken tofu or non dairy yogurt can be used here but after testing 4 batches, I found that a combination of silken tofu and non dairy yogurt produces the best texture. However, if you don’t have both either one will work– just note there is a slightly different texture. Be sure to use silken tofu and a runny non-dairy milk (I use presidents choice unflavoured coconut yogurt).
- Helpful Equipment: cupcake tin, cupcake liners, mixing bowl, spatula, whisk
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer) without frosting.
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, north american
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 208
- Sugar: 8.5g
- Sodium: 256mg
- Fat: 9.6g
- Saturated Fat: .9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.8g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Protein: 7.8g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: vegan lemon cupcakes, gluten free lemon cupcakes, healthy lemon cupcakes, oil free cupcakes