This Kabocha Sweet Potato Casserole is a healthy and delicious twist on the classic Sweet Potato Casserole. Featuring a creamy light mash topped with clusters of pecan crumble! The perfect side dish or entree for any holiday dinner. Vegan + Gluten Free
Kabocha Sweet Potato Mash
- 2 large sweet potato sweet potato (500g)
- 1 small kabocha squash (850g // can also use butternut or hokkaido squash)
- 1/2 cup cashew milk (120ml // or any other dairy free milk)
- 3 tbsp arrowroot starch (24g)
- 1–2 tbsp maple syrup, optional
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1.5 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt, to taste
Pecan Crumble Topping
- Roast Sweet Potatoes & Kabocha: Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). Line a large baking tray (or 2 small baking trays) with parchment paper. Scrub and wash the sweet potato and kabocha. Using a sharp knife, cut the kabocha into eights. Cut the sweet potato in half lengthwise and place them all on to the baking tray. Bake for 30 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Make the Pecan Crumble: While the sweet potatoes and kabocha is baking in the oven, prepare the crumble topping by combining the chopped pecans, oats, almond meal, maple syrup, almond butter, salt and cinnamon into a bowl. Mix to combine. Then add in the coconut sugar and gently mix to combine.
- Make the “egg”: In a small bowl whisk together the coconut milk and arrowroot starch and let it sit.
- Reduce Oven Temperature: Once the sweet potatoes and kabocha is done baking, reduce the oven temperature to 350F / 180 C.
- Make the Mash: Into a food processor add in the flesh of the sweet potato by scraping the insides out with a spoon. Then add in the flesh of the kabocha by either peeling the skin off with a knife or using the same scraping method with a spoon. Add in the arrowroot starch coconut milk mixture, maple syrup (if using), cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and salt. Puree until smooth and creamy. Taste and add more spices, maple syrup and/or salt as needed.
- Assemble & Bake: Transfer the mash into a 9×9 or 9×18 inch glass baking dish and spread evenly. Top with the pecan crumble and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Let it sit for 10 minutes before serving and enjoy!
Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: Entrees
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: North American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 247
- Sugar: 11.4
- Sodium: 300mg
- Fat: 11.7g
- Saturated Fat: 0.97g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.8g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 32.9g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: kabocha, sweet potato casserole, holiday recipes, thanksgiving recipes