Learn how to make the perfect Vegan Japanese Purin with this step by step recipe. Similar to flan or creme caramel, it’s a no-bake silky smooth custard topped with a layer of bitter-sweet caramel!
- 4 tbsp rice flour (40g) OR 3 tbsp kudzu starch (30g)
- 1/2 cup (120ml) + 1 2/3 cup (400ml) unsweetened soy milk, divided
- 1 tbsp cane sugar (12g)
- 2 pinches of salt (1g)
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup (30ml)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5ml)
- 2g agar agar powder
- 1/2 cup water (120ml)
- 1/2 cup cane sugar (100g)
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp hot water
- Add the rice flour (or starch), sugar and 1/2 cup of soy milk to a medium pot. Whisk well to combine. Warm the remaining 400ml of soy milk in the microwave until lukewarm.
- Heat the mixture until it turns into a paste like consistency over medium heat. Use a whisk first and then switch to a silicon spatula to prevent the bottom from burning. As soon as it thickens into a paste, turn the heat low and keep mixing for about another minute until smooth.
- Add the warmed soy milk slowly, a little at a time and whisk it into the paste. Once all the soy milk is mixed in and is smooth, stir in the maple syrup, vanilla and salt.
- Into another pot, add the agar and water and stir to dissolve. Heat the pan over medium heat. As soon as it comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and continue to whisk for about 1 1/2 – 2 minutes or until agar is fully dissolved. Strain the soy milk mixture over the pot. TIP: be sure the soy milk mixture is warm or the agar will firm up quickly. Whisk the mixture gently and try not to form any bubbles or foam. Turn off the heat and remove from stove. Quickly give pudding cups a rinse with hot water. Divide into 4 pudding cups and let it cool at room temperature for 15 minutes. Then transfer to the fridge and allow it to cool for at least 8 hours.
- Add sugar in pan with 2 tbsp of water over medium heat. DO NOT touch the pot or mix it. Once it starts to bubble and turn amber in colour (about 8 minutes), turn the heat off and then pour in hot water. Swirl the pan to evenly distribute and to give it subtle mix so that the bottom does not get too thick. NOTE: please be careful when adding in the hot water, as soon as the water is added it does bubble vigourously. You can use a lid of a pot as a shield.
- Helpful Equipment: whisk, silicon spatula, medium pot, pudding molds
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: dessert
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: japanese, vegan, gluten free
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 214
- Sugar: 34.5
- Sodium: 112mg
- Fat: 2.2
- Saturated Fat: 0.06
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 44.2
- Fiber: 0.8
- Protein: 3.9
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: japanese pudding, purin, creme caramel, flan