!(Kaki Fry) that look and taste just like the real deal! Made with juicy oyster mushrooms coated in panko– deep fried until perfectly crispy and golden brown. Served with lemon juice and homemade tartar sauce
- 2 1/2 tbsp Vegan kewpie mayonnaise or homemade Japanese mayonnaise(37g)
- 30g medium firm tofu, water pressed out
- 10g pickles, diced small
- 10g white onions, diced small
- 1/8 tsp Japanese mustard powder
- pinch of black salt
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package oyster mushrooms (150g)
- 225g Japanese Mountain Yam (Nagaimo) / Chinese Yam (net weight about 200g)*
- 2 tsp aonori (5g // or dulse flakes)
- 1 tsp soy sauce (5g)
- 1/2 tsp kombu dashi granules (3g)
- 1/2 tbsp potato starch (3g)
- 2/3–1 nori sheet
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Japanese panko, as needed
- oil for frying, as needed
- Mix all the ingredients for the tartar sauce together in a bowl. Cover and keep refrigerated.
- Tear the oyster mushrooms into 5-6 segments with your hands, slightly larger than the size of your thumb.
- Peel and grate the nagaimo into a bowl. Stir in the aonori, soy sauce, kombu dashi granules, potato starch and salt. Tear the nori sheet into small pieces and then stir everything together.
- Dip the oyster mushrooms into the nagaimo batter, generously coating each piece. Then coat in panko.
- Preheat a pot of oil to 350 F (180 C) and deep fry for 45-60 seconds, turn and fry for another 45-60 seconds or until golden brown (they will continue to brown slightly out of the fryer).
- Place on a wire rack to allow excess oil to drip off. Serve with shredded cabbage or lettuce, lemon and the tartar sauce.
- Nagaimo can be substituted with 225g soft tofu out of the package. Drained and lightly pressed, net weight should be around 200g.
- Helpful Equipment: oroshi grater, wire rack, deep frying pot
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: appetizer
- Method: deep frying
- Cuisine: japanese, vegan
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 300
- Sugar: 1.3g
- Sodium: 625mg
- Fat: 14.4g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10.3g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 22.4g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: kaki fry, fried oysters, vegan fried oysters, fried mushrooms