Real deal Vegan Japanese curry with chunks of veggies stewed in a rich, sweet and mega flavourful sauce. Served over rice for the perfect weeknight comfort meal.
For the Curry
- 1 large onion, sliced into wedges (300g)
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 tsp ginger, grated
- ½ package mushrooms (150g)
- 1 carrot, cut into wedges (150g)
- 2–3 potatoes (250g)
- 3/4 cup soy curls (about 60g dry and 120g rehydrated)
- ½ small apple, grated (100g)
- 2 ½ cup water (625ml)
- ½ box curry roux cubes (120g // or about 240-270g homemade curry cubes)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Kakushi aji (hidden flavours)
- 1/4 cup caramelized onions (62g)
- 1 tbsp Japanese Worcester or Tonkatsu sauce (15ml)
- 1 tbsp ketchup (15ml)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (15ml // tamari for gluten free)
- 1 tbsp sugar of choice (14g)
- 1 tsp cocoa powder (3g)
- 1 tsp instant coffee (3g)
- 4 cups Japanese white rice, cooked
- fukushinzuke (pickled soy sauce vegetables)
- Over medium high heat, add onions and fry for 1 minute. Add in garlic and ginger and fry for another minute. Add in the mushrooms, carrots and potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add water and grated apple. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a low and simmer for 15 minutes or until you can pierce a toothpick through it.
- Turn off the heat. Chop up the roux into small pieces (makes it easier to dissolve). Add the chopped roux to a soup ladle and dissolve it well into the curry. Stir in kakushi aji mixture. Add any other kakushiaji.
- Turn heat to low and simmer to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice and enjoy!
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer) with added flavour and 1 cup of cooked rice per serving.
- Category: entree
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, japanese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 513
- Sugar: 12.1
- Sodium: 1379
- Fat: 11.7
- Saturated Fat: 5.6
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 86.5
- Fiber: 6.7
- Protein: 14.8
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: vegan japanese curry, vegetarian japanese curry, easy japanaese curry, homemade japanese curry