Vegan Hayashi Rice served with rice is the ultimate hearty & comforting flavour packed stew. This shortcut version comes together in under 30 minutes and is perfect for chilly weeknight dinners!
- 3 tomatoes (200g after being strained, see directions below)
- 1 onion, sliced (225g)
- 1 garlic clove, micro grated (4g)
- 4 oz button mushrooms, sliced (120g)
- 5 oz shimeji mushrooms (150g)
- 2 oz dry soy curls, rehydrated (56g dry)
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp vegan butter (16g)
- 4 tsp plain flour (10g // gluten free if needed)
- 1/4 cup red wine (60ml)
- 1/4 cup Japanese Worcester (60g)
- 3 tbsp ketchup (45g)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (30g)
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce (10g)
- 1 tsp vegan consomme or vegetable boullion powder (5g)
- 3 tbsp unsweetened non dairy milk (45ml)
- 1 bay leaf
- Grate the tomato with a bowl underneath to catch all the juices. You can add the flesh and tomato juices or strain it and use just the juices for a smoother stew. If adding the flesh, you can scale back the tomato paste or ketchup by 1-2 tablespoons.
- Fry the onions and garlic in some vegan butter with a wooden spatula or spoon over medium high heat in a shallow pot until it semi-translucent. Add the mushrooms and soy curls and sauté until mushrooms soften.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add another teaspoon of vegan butter and flour and fry for about 1 minute, stirring continuously so it does not burn.
- Add the red wine, Worcester sauce, ketchup, tomato paste, soy sauce, consomme, non dairy milk, grated tomato and bay leaf and stir. Simmer on low heat until thick (about 5-10 minutes). Add salt and pepper to taste. The longer you let it simmer, the more flavourful the stew will become. Add additional vegetable broth or water as needed to reach your desired consistency.
- Category: entree
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, japanese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 253
- Sugar: 20.7g
- Sodium: 627mg
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.3g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 39.9g
- Fiber: 7.3g
- Protein: 11.4g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: hayashi rice, vegan hayashi rice, japanese tomato mushroom and onion stew