This Vegan Egg Roll in a Bowl is the perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner loaded with vegetables, textures and flavours! A classic take-out meal made healthy with a gluten free option.
- 8 oz extra firm tofu or tempeh, crumbled (224g)
- 5–6 shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated for 30 minutes in hot water
- 1 package mung bean glass noodles (50g)
- 3 large carrots, shredded (150g)
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced(150g)
- 1 large head of cabbage, shredded (450g)
- 4 scallions, chopped whites and greens separated (40g)
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 knob of ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (or tamari for gluten free)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- Place mung bean noodles in room temperature water.
- Cut the stems of the rehydrated shiitake mushrooms off and slice into thin strips.
- Heat large frying pan or wok over medium high heat. Add 1 tbsp of oil (or water) and fry garlic, ginger, shiitake mushrooms and crumbled tofu and fry for 1 minute. Add the carrots and bell pepper and fry for another 30 seconds.
- Turn up the heat to high and add the cabbage and fry everything for 1 minute. Drain the mung bean noodles and use kitchen shears to cut noodles into around 1 inch lengths. Add the noodles, soy sauce, rice vinegar, salt, sugar, sesame oil, white pepper, chinese five spice powder and stir fry for another minute. Mix in the green parts of the scallions and serve.
- Category: entree
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, asian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 411
- Sugar: 18.6g
- Sodium: 1585mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 58g
- Fiber: 10.7g
- Protein: 20.2g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: vegan egg rolls, vegan spring rolls, egg roll in a bowl, vermicelli noodles