This Vegan Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole is loaded with tender cauliflower and mushrooms baked in a creamy dairy free cheese sauce. The perfect easy, healthy and satisfying side dish for any dinner or holiday feast.
- 1 large head of cauliflower, chopped into bite sized pieces (approx. 1000g)
- 4 oz button or cremini mushrooms, sliced (112g)
- 1 large onion, sliced (240g)
- 1 cup cashews (150g)
- 2 cups cashew milk (500ml)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice (45g)
- 4 large garlic cloves (12g)
- 1 tbsp miso paste (20g)
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast (40g)
- ¼ cup tapioca starch (30g)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup vegan shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 F (180 C).
- Add chopped cauliflower into a large pot with a steamer basket. Steam for 10-12 minutes or until just fork tender.
- Add sliced onions and mushrooms into a medium pan and fry until lightly browned over medium high (around 5 minutes). Place into another bowl and set aside.
- Add all cheese ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Pour the cheese sauce into the same pan used for the onions and mushroom and place over medium high heat. Stir continuously for 5 minutes until the cheese sauce becomes thick. Remove from heat.
- Pour half of the cheese sauce into a 9×13 inch or two 8×8 inch baking dishes. Add in the cauliflower, onions and mushrooms. Pour the rest of the cheese sauce on top and stir to make sure all the vegetables are covered with the cheese.
- Top with vegan cheese or mix the bread crumb mixture. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until bubbly. If you want to lightly brown the bread crumbs, broil for 1-2 minutes. Garnish with red pepper flakes and/or green onions and serve!
- Loosely adapted from this recipe.
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: Casseroles & Entrees
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 209
- Sugar: 6.5g
- Sodium: 447mg
- Fat: 9.7g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.5g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Protein: 10.4g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: cauliflower casserole, cheesy casseroles, dairy free casseroles, gratin, bake