Rich, creamy and delicious vegan cashew buttercream frosting made with just 6 ingredients! Easy to make and perfect for cupcakes, cakes, cookies and more.
- Drain the cashews from the soaking water well and pat dry with a clean kitchen towel. Add all the ingredients except the coconut butter into a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the blender as needed. Add in the coconut butter and blend until combined.
- Place into the freezer for 30 minutes and then use a electric hand mixer to whip until fluffy. If it’s too firm to whisk, let it sit for 3-5 minutes. Freeze again for 15-20 minutes and whip again until fluffy. Repeat one more time and then chill in the refrigerator before frosting.
- Cover the buttercream and place in the refrigerator until ready to use for up to 1 week. If freezing, pack it into a freezer safe bag or container, cover and freeze for up to 1 month.
- The texture and consistency of this buttercream is very similar to the traditional kind where it will hold up for 1-3 hours but will start melting if the temperature is too warm. It tastes the best chilled as well so I do recommend frosting right before serving!
- * I make my own powdered sugar by blending organic cane sugar in the vitamix. For a refined sugar free version, use 1-2 tbsp maple syrup. The frosting will be a tad more soft but will still hold up well.
- Helpful Equipment: vitamix, spatula, electric hand mixer
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer). Prep time does not include chilling time.
- Category: dessert
- Method: freezing
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, north american
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 64.3
- Sugar: 2.5
- Sodium: 10.4
- Fat: 5
- Saturated Fat: 2.5
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.8
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 4.5
- Fiber: 0.7
- Protein: 1.3
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: vegan butter cream, cashew buttercream, dairy free buttercream, healthy frosting