Sunomono Salad is the perfect summer salad or side dish featuring cucumbers, wakame and mung bean noodles tossed in a vinegar based sweet and sour dressing. This Japanese Cucumber Salad is incredibly easy and quick to make, no cooking involved!
- Pour boiled water over wakame and mung bean noodles, fully submerged. Let it sit for 5-8 minutes, until wakame has expanded and noodles are softened. Pat them dry and then cut the noodles 3 times with kitchen scissors so there are not long pieces.
- Slice the tips off the cucumbers and thinly slice them into rounds. Using a mandolin is ideal here (faster and more consistent slices). Add 1 tsp of salt and rub it into the cucumbers using your hands. Let it sit for 3-5 minutes and then rinse, drain and blot them to remove excess water.
- Into a bowl, add the rice vinegar, cane sugar, soy sauce and stir well.
- Add the cucumbers, wakame and noodles into the sauce mix and toss well. Garnish with sesame seeds and enjoy!
- thin mandolin slicer :
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: sides
- Method: mixing
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, Japanese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 41
- Sugar: 3.1g
- Sodium: 247mg
- Fat: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 0.17g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.8g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 6.9g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: sunomono, Japanese cucumber salad recipe