This Spicy Eggplant and Tomato Dip has the perfect balance of heat and sweetness. Enjoy as a snack with some crackers, eat it over toast or have it as a part of your main meal! Just 7-ingredients needed to make this delicious crowd pleasing dip! (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
- 1 large onion (250g), thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Japanese eggplants, sliced (approx. 1 cm thick) (400g)
- 2 cups diced tomatos (500g)
- 2 tbsp sugar-free ketchup (40g)
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (20g)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- salt to taste
- Into a large deep pan (or pot), add in 1 tbsp of oil (or water for oil-free), and fry the onion and garlic for 2-3 minute over medium high heat- until lightly caramelized.
- Add in the sliced eggplants and cook for 3 minutes, until softened.
- Add in the diced canned tomatoes, ketchup, coconut sugar, cayenne and salt.
- Bring the heat down to a medium-low and mix. Allow it to simmer for 5 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced into a thick dip consistency.
- Add more coconut sugar, cayenne or salt- to taste.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve!
Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
Store in the fridge for up to 5 days in an air tight container.
- Category: Dips
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: North American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 110
- Sugar: 16.4
- Sodium: 1200mg
- Fat: 0.3
- Saturated Fat: 0.08
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.17
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 25.8
- Fiber: 6.1
- Protein: 2.84
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: spicy eggplant dip, spicy tomato dip