Learn how to make soft and fluffy Japanese style bread in a rice cooker! Crusted on the outside with a lovely light milky sweetness– perfect for breakfast and serving with your favourite spreads and dishes!
- Add the bread flour, cake flour, sugar, instant yeast, vegan butter and oat milk to a stand mix. Knead at low speed (setting #2) for 30 seconds and then increase to medium-high speed (setting #4) for 5 minutes. If using a bowl, do the same thing but knead with your hands for 10 minutes.
- Shape it into a ball and then place into rice cooker. Set to keep warm for 10 minutes. Turn off the keep warm setting and continue to ferment for 30 minutes, or until 1.5 in size.
- Punch the dough, knead a few times and then roll it into a log. Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. Knead and shape it back into small balls. Place it into the rice cooker and set to keep warm for 10 minutes. Turn off the keep warm setting and then continue to proof for 20-30 minutes or until x1.5 in size again. (Do a poke test to check because every rice cooker is different. When poking, the dough should spring back slowly. Too fast and it needs more time. If it does not spring back, it is over-fermented. When proofed, switch on quick mode and cook. When complete, flip the bread over and cook on quick mode again. Once the second cycle is complete, the bread it ready!
- Helpful Equipment: rice cooker
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: bread
- Method: rice cooker
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, japanese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 160
- Sugar: 3.8
- Sodium: 23.7
- Fat: 2
- Saturated Fat: 0.5
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 30.6
- Fiber: 1.2
- Protein: 4.4
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: rice cooker bread, no oven bread