These pan fried version of Tteokbokki are crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside and covered in a spicy, sweet sauce that is highly addicting. Super quick and easy to make, too!
More Vegan Korean Recipes to Try:
- Vegan Cheesy Tteokbokki
- Vegan Kimchi Fried Rice
- Vegan Kimchi Pancakes
- Vegetable Japchae
- Vegetable and Tofu Kimbap
- Bibim Guksu
If you recreate this Pan Fried Tteokbokki recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
- 8oz Korean rice cakes
- 1 1/2 tbsp gochujang (22g)*
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup (30g // or 1 tbsp sugar)
- 1 garlic clove, micro grated (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder)
- 2–3 tsp gochugaru (Korean red pepper powder)
- If using frozen rice cakes, cook the rice cakes following manufacturers instruction in hot water until softened.
- While cooking the rice cakes (step 1), stir the remaining ingredients together. Start with lesser amounts, taste and adjust to your liking.
- Coat a non-stick pan with some oil over high heat. Add the rice cakes and let them cook for about 1-2 minutes, until crispy. Flip and cook the other side.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the sauce, and stir to coat the rice cakes. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously so that the sauce doesn’t burn. At any point if the pan gets too dry, add a touch of water and stir again. Remove from heat, serve and garnish with scallions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
- For a mild version, decrease the amount of Korean red pepper flakes (or skip all together) and add 1 1/2 tbsp of ketchup.
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: entree
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, korean
- Serving Size: 1 serving
Keywords: korean rice cakes, tteokbokki, pan fried tteokbokki, crispy rice cakes
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!