Warm and comforting Natto Jiru– customizable, satisfying and comforting meal. Packed with vegetables, plant based protein and gut healthy ingredients!
- 1 3/4 – 2 cups water (475ml – 500ml)
- 1/2 lbs mushrooms of choice (approx.225g)
- 1/2 lbs vegetables of choice (approx. 225g)
- 2 scallions (28g)
- 1/2 piece aburaage, sliced into strips (40g)
- 1/4 block of konyaku, cubed or sliced (50g)
- 1 tsp kombu dashi stock granules (5g)
- 1/4 tsp ajinomoto (msg)
- 1 1/2 tbsp miso paste (30g)
- 1 package of natto (60g)
- 1/2 block soft tofu, cubed (40g)
- togarashi (for serving)
- enoki mushrooms
- shimeji mushrooms
- oyster mushrooms
- shiitake mushrooms
- lotus root
- Separate the white and green parts of the scallions. Chop the white part around 1/2 inch in length and finely chop the green parts.
- Over high heat, add 1 1/2 cups of water to a single serving pot or donabe. Stir in the kombu dashi granules, ajinomoto (msg), aburaage (fried tofu) and konjac. Add the mushrooms, vegetables and white part of the scallions. If using soft greens like spinach, add at the end to let them wilt. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium low. Cover and cook until root vegetables are cooked through (about 10 minutes).
- In the meantime, dissolve the miso. Using a suribachi (Japanese motor and pestal) or masher, grind the natto. You can grind it completely into a paste or keep some intact for texture.
- Turn off the heat and then stir in the miso. Add the natto and mix everything together until combined. Add the soft tofu and give it one last stir. Add the green parts of the scallions and togarashi. Serve and enjoy!
- Category: entree
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, japanese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
Keywords: natto, miso soup, japanese recipes