Learn how to make one of Japans most loved street foods: monjyaki!
If you recreate this Monjayaki recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp pastry flour (20-25g // sub all purpose flour or rice flour if needed)
- 1 tsp kombu dashi granules (3g)
- 1.5–2 tbsp Bull Dog Vegetable & Fruit Tonkatsu Sauce (or any Japanese worcestershire sauce)
- 1 cup water (250ml)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/8 of medium cabbage, finely chopped (200g)
- 2 tbsp agedama (tempura scraps) (15g)
- A (cook with cabbage): bean sprouts, other vegetables that take longer to cook, konnyaku, mochi
- B (add with batter): natto, corn, vegan mentaiko, vegan kimchi
- Vegetable baby star ramen or any ramen snack
- In to a medium sized bowl dissolve the kombu dashi granules into the water. Then add the tonkatsu sauce, flour, salt and pepper and stir well. Then add the cabbage, adegama and add-ins in section A. Mix it together.
- Scoop out the cabbage and add ins and cook on the griddle until cabbage is softened. Make a donut shape and then slowly pour in remaining batter along with any add-ins from ‘B’. When it starts to cook, mix it all together.
- When colour changed and 80% done, spread it flat and then sprinkle with toppings of choice.
- Once it’s thickened to your liking, use a scraper (or spoon) and enjoy! Press the scraper down to achieve a crispy bottom.
- Helpful Equipment: griddle, iron plate
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!