Mitarashi Dango (みたらし団子), a traditional Japanese snack of rice dumplings paired with a sweet soy sauce glaze. This classic spring treat is soft, chewy and incredibly easy to make!
- 50g shiratamako (sweet rice flour)
- 30g joshinko rice flour (optional, or sub with more shiratamako)
- 110–115g silken tofu
- 1 tbsp Japanese soy sauce (15ml)*
- 1/2–1 tbsp mirin (7-15ml)**
- 3 tbsp water (45ml)
- 2–3 tbsp coconut sugar (24-36g // or cane sugar)
- 1 1/2 tsp potato starch
- Soak the bamboo sticks in water. This makes it easier to slide the dango on and it prevents it from burning if using a blow torch.
- Roughly mash the tofu with a fork. Add the shiratamako flour and knead it together until a smooth soft dough forms
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces (15g each). Roll them into balls.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and then add all the dango. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally so they do not stick to the bottom. If they float to the top before 3 minutes is over, continue to cook to ensure the inside is done as well. Use a skimmer or slotted spoon to remove the dango and place in ice cold water.
- Add all the sauce ingredients to a small sauce pan and stir. Once the potato starch has dissolved, turn on the heat to medium high. Whisk continuously– once it begins to thicken remove from the heat and transfer it to a bowl.
- Pierce 3-5 dango onto a skewer. From here you can keep as is or add some charring for flavour with a grill, pan fry or blow torch. Pour the sweet soy glaze on top and enjoy!
- *Japanese soy sauce tastes different than Chinese soy sauce. Please use Japanese shoyu for the right flavour. If you only have Chinese soy sauce, adjust amount as well as the sugar.
- **If you do not have mirin, replace with sake or water and sugar.
- Helpful Equipment: blow torch, skewers, mixing bowls, whisk
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer)
- Category: dessert
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, japanese
- Serving Size: 1 skewer (3 balls)
- Calories: 130
Keywords: dango, mitarashi dango