These Miso Glazed Roasted Root Vegetables are the perfect accompaniment to any fall meal or holiday side dish. Easy oil free roasted root vegetables paired with a umami sweet vegan miso glaze.
Roasted Root Vegetables
- 3 lbs of root vegetables (1350g // I used a mix sweet potatoes, potatoes and carrots)
- 1 large red onion (250g)
- 1 head of garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Rinse and peel the skin off the root vegetables. Cut them into chunks that are roughly the same size (around 1-1.5 inches).* Cut the onion into wedges. Peel the skin off the garlic.
- Over medium high heat add 1 cup of water into a large pot and place a steamer basket inside. Add the chopped root vegetables EXCEPT the onion and garlic into the steamer basket. Once the water starts to boil, cover and steam the vegetables for 8-10 minutes, or until they are fork tender. You should be able to pierce the vegetables with a fork but they should not be over-cooked and mushy.
- Pre-heat oven to 400F. Place the steam root vegetables, onions and garlic onto a parchment lined baking tray. Sprinkle on salt and pepper and toss to season. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until vegetables are golden brown.
- In the meantime, whisk together the miso paste, rice vinegar, tahini, maple, minced garlic and water. Taste and add more rice vinegar and/or water as needed. It shouldn’t be too thick, slightly runny but not water-y.
- Once the vegetables are out of the oven, pour the miso glaze on top and toss to coat. Top with scallions and sesame seeds. Serve and enjoy!
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: Sides
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: North American - Japanese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 308
- Sugar: 18g
- Sodium: 1079mg
- Fat: 3.2g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 64g
- Fiber: 11.28g
- Protein: 7.85g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: roasted root vegetables, roasted vegetables, miso glaze