This miso chili oil focaccia has it all: golden crispy exterior, soft and chewy on the inside topped with sweet corn, tomatoes, roasted garlic and umami rich miso chili oil for a spicy kick! This tried and true no-knead overnight focaccia is the perfect bread for beginners and only requires basic pantry staple ingredients.
- 2 2/3 cup bread flour (324g)
- 1 1/8 tsp instant yeast (5g)
- 1 1/8 tsp salt (6g)
- 1 cup + 3 tbsp water (285ml)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (30ml)
- 2 tbsp miso chili oil (30ml)
- 1/4 cup corn (45g)
- 1/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved (60g)
- 1 head roasted garlic
- Night before: In a large bowl, add flour, salt and instant yeast and whisk together. Add the water and then mix with a spatula or wooden spoon until a wet and sticky shaggy dough ball forms. A wet dough will result in a fluffier focaccia. Add 1 tbsp (10g) of olive oil on top and rub the surface to coat. Cover the bowl with a slightly damp tea towel and then place into the refrigerator overnight (12-15 hours).
- Make the miso chili oil: if you do not have some prepared already, make the miso chili oil ahead of time.
- Following day: The dough should still be wet and increased in size. Grease or line a 11 x 8 inch pan. Add one tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Rub some olive oil onto your fingers and then pull the sides of the dough towards the middle, rotating the bowl until all sides are pulled in. Transfer to prepared baking pan and flip it once to ensure the entire ball of dough is coated in olive oil. Let the dough rest at room temperature for at least 2 1/2 – 4 hours or until the dough has spread close to the edges of the pan (it should look double in size).
- Prepare toppings: Choose toppings of choice. I chose sliced grape tomatoes, roasted garlic and corn.
- Prepare for baking: Preheat oven to 425 F. Drizzle two tbsp of miso oil on the dough and lightly coat fingers in oil again. Dimple the dough using your fingers by pressing them close to the bottom of the pan (but not all the way through). Allow the bubbles to form (don’t pop them!). Place desired amount of tomatoes, corn and roasted garlic on top and drizzle with more miso chili oil. Finish with a generous sprinkle of flakey salt.
- Bake: Place into middle rack of your oven and bake for 20-22 minutes or until surface is crisp and deep golden. Transfer the focaccia to a cooling rack. Allow it to cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
- Helpful Equipment:
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).