This Lemongrass and Ginger Thai Coconut Soup is aromatic, full of flavour and thoroughly comforting. An easy 1-pot weeknight dinner ready in under 30 minutes. Vegan + Gluten Free
Crispy Puff Tofu:
Lemongrass Ginger Coconut Soup:
- 1 medium onion, sliced (110g)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced (12g)
- 1 tbsp yellow curry paste (20g), optional*
- 1 tbsp minced ginger (20g)
- 4 scallions, whites and greens separated
- 1 cup chopped carrots (150g)
- 1 stalk lemongrass (tops and bottom trimmed, outer layers removed, cut into thirds and smashed using the back of a knife)
- 3 cups vegetable broth (750ml)
- 1 15oz. can full fat coconut milk (440ml)
- 3 tbsp tamari (45g)
- 1 tsp salt + more to taste
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Purple rice, cooked
- Sesame seeds
For the Soup:
- Over medium high heat, into a pot add in the sliced onions, garlic (and curry paste is using) and cook until fragrant (2-3 minutes). Add in the ginger, white part of the scallions, carrots, and lemongrass cook until further fragrant (2-3 minutes).
- Add in the stock, coconut milk, tamari and bring to a boil. Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat down to a medium-low and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes, until carrots are soft. The longer you let it simmer, the more flavour the lemongrass will release.
For the Tofu:
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the tofu. Cut the tofu into 1.5cmx1.5cm cubes. Dust with cornstarch and some salt. Place into air fryer basked lined with parchment paper and air fry at 400 F for 8 minutes. Shake the air fryer basket and air fry for another 8 minutes, or until browned and crispy. Try not to let the tofu touch each other.
- If baking, bake place the pieces of tofu onto a baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until crispy.
- Remove lemongrass stems from the soup. Add salt, pepper and lime juice to taste.
- Place some rice and tofu into a bowl and pour soup on top. Garnish with cilantro, scallions and sesame seeds.
Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer), not including the rice for 4 servings
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stove top + Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Thai
- Serving Size: 1 of 4 servings
- Calories: 291
- Sugar: 6.2g
- Sodium: 1796mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 7.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.15g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 15.6 g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 13.7g
- Cholesterol: 0g
Keywords: thai soup, coconut soup, lemongrass ginger