Kung Pao Tofu is a lighter and healthy take on the classic Chinese take out! Crispy tofu tossed in a sweet and spicy sauce for the perfect high protein vegan meal.
- 1 block extra firm tofu (400g)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (30g)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (20g)
- 4 tbsp corn starch (32g)
- pinch of salt
- 1.5 tbsp dark soy sauce (22g)
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce (15g)
- 3 tbsp Chinese vinegar (45g // or 1.5 tbsp rice vine vinegar for gluten free)
- 2 tbsp maples syrup (40g // or sugar)
- 1 tsp sesame oil (5g)
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp corn starch (7g)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (7g)
- 1/2 tbsp ginger, minced (10g)
- 1/4 tsp sichuan peppercorn powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (or 4 dried red chilies, cut into small pieces)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (110g)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (110g)
- 4 green onions, cut into 3/4 inch pieces and green parts separated rom the white (46g)
- 1/4 cup roasted peanut (30g)
- Add all the marinate ingredients into a glass container. Cut tofu into 1 inch pieces and place into the glass container and let it marinate for at least 15 mins. Coat tofu with corn starch.
- To air fry: air fry for 15 minutes at 400 F (shaping basket half way).
- To bake: Place coated tofu onto a silpat/parchment lined baking pan and bake for 20 minutes (flipping half way).
- To Pan fry: Heat skillet with 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat and add tofu. Cook on one side for 2 minutes. Flip the tofu and cook for another 1-2 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Transfer to another plate and set aside.
- In the meantime, mix sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the garlic, ginger, peppercorns (if using) and fry for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the bell pepper and white parts on the green onions and fry for 30 seconds.
- Stir the sauce in and stir. Add the tofu and toss until the sauce thickens and coats all the tofu pieces.
- Turn off the heat and add the peanuts and green parts of the green onions in and stir. Serve immediately and garnish with more green onions.
- Category: entree
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: vegan, chinese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 266
- Sugar: g6
- Sodium: 1002mg
- Fat: 10.9g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 25.5g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 17.6g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: kung pao tofu, tofu stir fry, tofu recipes, chinese vegan recipes, vegetarian stir fry