BRING ON THE UMAMI! with this delicious kombu miso butter 🙂
If you recreate this Kombu Miso Butter recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
- 5 inch piece (5 g) dried kombu
- 2/3 (160 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) mirin
- 1 tbsp (15 m) rice vinegar
- 1 tsp (6 g) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (20 g) miso paste
- 1/2 cup (113 g ) butter // I used PC Dairy Free Butter
- 2 pieces (3 g) seasoned nori
- salt, to taste
- Break up the kombu into a sauce pan and add in the water. Heat over low until it begins to bubble, and then turn it off. Set aside and let the kombu soak for at least 30 minutes. Remove the kombu and set aside for later.
- Add in the mirin, rice vinegar and sugar to the saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes over medium low. Add the soy sauce and continue to simmer for about 2 minutes, or until reduced to about 1 – 1 1/2 of liquid. Turn off the heat and then dissolve the miso paste in using a small strainer. The total amount left should be about 1 1/2 – 2 tbsp.
- Add the butter, reduced seasoning, kombu and seaweed to a food processor and blend until combined. Taste and adjust salt as desired.
- Transfer to a air tight sterile container and keep refrigerated for up to 10 days or freeze for up to 3 months!
- Helpful Equipment: food processor, small sauce pan, strainer, miso muddler
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: condiments
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: japanese
Keywords: kombu butter, miso butter, compound butter
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!