Kinpira Gobo is stir fried burdock root seasoned with soy sauce, sake and sugar. A simple vegan burdock root recipe thats packed with flavour and health benefits!
- Scrape the skin of the burdock using the back of a knife. Rinse the root, then slice into match stick sized pieces. Alternatively, use a mandolin or vegetable peeler to make thin strips.
- Soak the burdock in water for 10 minutes. Change the water every time it gets cloudy (I do this around 2-3 times).
- Combine the sake, soy sauce and sugar in a bowl and mix until the sugar dissolves.
- In a large pan, heat the sesame oil over high heat and add the burdock root. Stir fry for around 3 minutes (4 minutes if the root is cut my hand).
- Add in the seasoning mix and cook until the liquid significantly reduces. Add in the sesame seeds and Japanese chili powder. Serve & enjoy!
- Store Kinpira Gobo in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Gluten free: sub tamari for gluten free version.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 98
- Sugar: 4.6g
- Sodium: 222mg
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.3g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 12.1g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: Kinpira Gobo, Braised Burdock