A super fresh Japanese Macaroni Salad perfect for summer! Packed with crisp veggies and chewy pasta, tossed in a creamy and tangy-sweet dressing. Quick and easy to make and only 8 ingredients required.
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free macaroni elbows, dry (120g // I use chickpea elbows)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (15g)
- 1/4 cup onion, thinly sliced (20g)
- 2 Persian cucumbers or 1 Japanese cucumber, thinly sliced (70g)
- 1/2 medium carrot, thinly sliced (60g)
- 2 slices vegan ham, optional (30g)
- 2/3 cup corn (115g)
- 1/3 cup Vegan Japanese Mayonnaise (80g)
- 2 tsp Japanese Spicy Mustard (10g // or dijon mustard)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cook pasta over the stove following directions on the package. Once cooked, rinse with cold water. Add the pasta to a large salad bowl and toss with rice vinegar.
- Add the sliced onions to a bowl with cold water and let it soak for at least 10 minutes. Drain the water and pat the onions dry.
- Using a mandolin, slice the cucumbers very thinly. Sprinkle with salt and massage it into the cucumbers. Let it rest for 5 minutes and then squeeze out excess liquid.
- To the salad bowl, add the onions, cucumbers, corn, carrots and vegan ham and give it a quick toss. Then add in the Japanese Mayonnaise, mustard, black pepper and salt and toss until everything is covered in the sauce. Taste and add more mayonnaise, mustard salt or pepper as desired. Place the salad in the refrigerator covered and let it rest for 1 hour before serving. Enjoy!
- Category: side dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, japanese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 4.8g
- Sodium: 350mg
- Fat: 4.4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.5g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 21.7g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 9.5g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: vegan macaroni salad, japanese macaroni salad, summer pasta salad