Quick and easy homemade sweet and sour sauce naturally sweetened with dates! Perfect for a healthy version of the classic Chinese take out or to use in stir fries, rice bowls, pizza and more.
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice (125g // preferably fresh to keep it refined sugar free)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (6g)
- 1 tsp minced ginger (5g)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder, optional
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (15g // tamari for gluten free)
- 4 soft dates (60g // or 3 tbsp coconut sugar)
- 3–4 tbsp rice vinegar (45-60g // depending on how vinegar-y you like it)
- 1/4 cup sugar free ketchup (60g)
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes, optional
- 1 tbsp corn starch + 2 tbsp water
- Blend all the ingredients except the chili flakes. Add the corn starch and water to a bowl and stir until combined.
- Pour the blended sauce into a sauce pan and add in chili flakes. Bring to a boil over medium high heat and then while stirring, pour in the slurry. Turn the heat down to a low and continue stirring until sauce thickens (2-3 minutes).
- Remove from heat and let it cool down before using or transferring into a air tight jar.
- Category: essentials
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, asian
- Serving Size: 2 tbsp
- Calories: 30
- Sugar: 4.4
- Sodium: 111
- Fat: 0.04
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 7.6
- Fiber: 0.4
- Protein: 0.3
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: sweet and sour sauce, asian cooking sauce, pineapple sauce