Learn how to make this Braised Vegan ‘Beef’ using Pomelo Pith!
- 1 pomelo (preferably organic)
- 3 tbsp Japanese soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp sake or mirin
- 1–2 tbsp sugar, depending on sweetness you like
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 grated apple
- 2 sliced scallions OR 1/4 grated onion
- 1–2 tsp chili bean sauce
- pinch of black pepper
- Scrub and rinse the pomelo. Cut it in half and then in quarters. Cut off the outer green/yellow skin and then remove the flesh of the fruit from the pith. Snack on the fruit.
- Rinse the pith and then add it to a large tub/bowl. Soak the pith in water for 3 days (minimum), changing the water 2-3 times per day.
- On the third day after the final soak OR the next day, drain the water and rinse the pith. Squeeze out all excess water. Slice the piths into chunks. Bring a pot of water to a boil over medium high heat and boil the piths for 3-5 minutes. If your piths are quite thin, boil for 3 minutes. If thicker, 5 minutes. Drain and then shock it with ice cold water.
- Make the marinade by adding all the ingredients to a shallow dish. Drain the piths again and squeeze out the water from the piths. Place into the dish and let it marinade overnight.
- Remove the container from the fridge and separate the piths from the marinade. Gently squeeze out some of the marinade out of the piths.
- Over medium high heat, add 1 tbsp of oil and fry the piths for about 1-2 minutes. Add 1/3-1/2 the amount of the marinade and another 1/4-1/2 cup of water (depending on how much piths you have, how much water remained in the pith and how flavourful you want it). Bring it to a boil, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove the lid, add the scallions from the marinade and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until the pith is the softness to your liking.
- Plate, garnish with scallions and sesame seeds. Serve with rice and enjoy!
- Helpful Equipment:
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).