Black sesame tofu made from sesame seeds, starch and dashi is a umami-rich alternative to tofu with a delicate, custard-pudding like texture. Learn how to make this delicate soy-free tofu easily at home!
Black Sesame Tofu
Sweet Miso Sauce
- Dampen a small dish or small container with some water and set aside.
- Add all the ingredients to a small pot or saucepan and whisk until mixed together. Place over medium heat and continue to whisk.
- Once it begins to thicken, bring the temperature down to low. Switch to a wooden spoon or heat-safe spatula and continue to stir, smushing down any lumps. As it heats up, continue to stir for about 5 minutes or until it looks blobby, glossy and thick (kinda like gooey pudding).
- Pour the mixture into prepared moulds and tap it carefully on your kitchen counter to even out the sides and remove any air bubbles. Cover with a damp cloth or wrap and let it come to room temperature. Then transfer to the fridge to set and chill (about 3 hours).
- Add all the ingredients to a sauce pan and stir over medium heat. Let it come to a light boil and whisk vigorously until it begins to thicken. Turn off the heat and continue to whisk until caramel-like consistency. Transfer to a jar or container and allow it to cool.
- If using a larger mold, cut into desired serving sizes. If using individual molds, you can eat it straight out of the mold or flip it onto a plate. Top with miso sauce or wasabi and soy sauce and enjoy!
- Category: side dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, japanese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 129
- Sugar: 0.25g
- Sodium: 78mg
- Fat: 8.3g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.3g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 13.4g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: gomadofu, black sesame tofu, soy free tofu, sesame tofu