Amazingly delicious black sesame cupcakes with the perfect soft crumb and topped with a fluffy matcha frosting. These vegan gluten free cupcakes are easy to make and are perfect for dessert, birthdays and any special occasions!
Black Sesame Cupcakes
- 1 cup + 3 tbsp cashew milk (285g // or lite coconut milk)*
- 1/4 cup coconut yogurt (60g // use a smooth yogurt that is not thick)
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar (8g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5g)
- 2/3 cup organic raw cane sugar (134g)
- 1/2 cup black sesame powder (56g)
- 1 3/4 cup super fine almond flour (196g)
- 2/3 cup potato starch (130g)
- 2 1/2 tbsp sweet rice flour (30g // or 1/4 cup corn starch, see blog post for difference)*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
Matcha Whip Cream
- Pre heat oven to 350 F. Line 12 cupcake tins with cupcake liners.
- Add coconut milk, yogurt, apple cider vinegar and vanilla to a mixing bowl and whisk until combined. Then add in the sugar, black sesame powder, almond flour, potato starch, sweet rice flour, baking powder and baking soda and mix until combined. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides and mix in any dry ingredients that may have stuck to the sides.
- Divide between 12 cupcake tins. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top of the cupcake is springy to the touch and toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let them in the cool in the pan for no more than 3 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let them cool completely before frosting.
- Scoop the coconut whipping cream into a chilled bowl. Using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer, whip the coconut cream for about 30 seconds until it starts to get fluffy. Sift in the matcha and powdered sugar if using (the coconut whipping cream is already lightly sweetened), until mixed and semi-stiff peaks form. Cover and keep chilled in the refrigerator until cupcakes are cooled. Then transfer to a piping bag and frost the cupcakes as desired.
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, north american, japanese
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 225
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 143mg
- Fat: 11.6g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 28.4g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: black sesame cupcakes, vegan cupcakes, gluten free cupcakes