Learn how to make the Best Vegan Gluten Free Biscuits in a food processor with just 6 ingredients. Fluffy, moist & flaky without the use of any butter or oil. Perfect for the holidays with some soup, covered in gravy or slathered in jam!
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour blend (250g)*
- 2/3 cup light coconut OR cashew milk (130g)**
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (120g)***
- 1 tbsp baking powder (aluminum free preferred)
- 2 tsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp cane sugar (13g)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast, optional for a cheesy flavour
- 2 tsp dried herbs (I used rosemary), optional for herb-y biscuits
- Into a small bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk and lemon juice, this will make vegan buttermilk
- Into a food processor, add in the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, nutritional yeast and dried herbs (if using) and blend until combined (around 10 seconds).
- Add in the buttermilk and drop in the coconut cream. Pulse blend 5-6 times, just until it starts to look crumbly. From here, it’s important to work fast.
- Transfer the dough onto a parchment lined floured surface. Dust your hands with flour and then pat the dough out into a rectangle, around 1/2 an inch thick. Then fold the dough inward into 1/3 (refer to photo). Use the parchment paper to lift the sides inwards so that you don’t have to keep adding flour (to prevent them from becoming too dry). Repeat this step 2 more times.
- After the third time, using your hands flatten the dough into 1/2 inch thick.
- With a 2-inch round metal biscuit cutter, firmly push straight down through the dough without twisting the cutter. If you do not have a biscuit cutter, use a knife and cut the dough into 6 squares. You should be able to cut out 5 circular biscuits.
- Use the scraps of the dough to form one more biscuit, 1 inch in thickness.
- Place the biscuits in the freezer and then preheat the oven to 230 C (450 F).
- Once fully preheated, brush some melted coconut cream on top of the biscuits and bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and enjoy immediately.
* If you don’t mind gluten, regular all purpose or pastry flour can be used
** Any non-dairy milk will work, my favourite is using canned light coconut milk for extra buttery-ness.
*** Coconut cream should be in solid form. Place in the fridge and scoop out the hard coconut cream and place in the freezer while prepping the other ingredients.
Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: Quick Breads
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: North American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 4.18g
- Sodium: 195mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 6.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.38g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 31.2g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Protein: 4.52g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: vegan gluten free biscuits, vegan savory scones