Asian Tofu “Beef” Bowls are a meal prep / weeknight dinner life saver! Ground Tofu Crumbles that’s incredibly easy and made in snap. Serve it over rice and vegetables for a healthy high protein vegan meal.
- 2 tbsp vegetarian mushroom sauce (32g // vegetarian oyster sauce)
- 1.5 tbsp hoisin sauce (24g)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (45g)
- 1 tbsp mirin or rice vinegar (15g)
- 1 tsp sugar (4g)
- 1 tsp sesame oil (5g)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 14 oz block extra firm tofu (400g // frozen and defrosted)*
- 1 tsp sambal oelek, optional
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (9g)
- 1 small onion, diced (100g)
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- scallions, for garnish
- Mix all the sauce ingredients into a bowl and set aside. Squeeze out any excess liquid from the tofu.
- Fry onions and garlic in a large pan or wok over medium high heat until browned (1 minute).
- Crumble in the tofu and fry for 1 minute to allow excess liquid to evaporate.
- Pour in the sauce and cook for another 3-4 minute until the tofu has absorbed the sauce. Fry for another 2-3 minute to get more browning and crisp tofu bits.
- Serve immediately over rice and garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.
- After the tofu has defrosted, squeeze out any excess liquid. I like to put a strainer under so it catches any tofu that might have crumbled off. You can also place it between dish towels for 3-5 minutes. If you don’t have frozen tofu prepared, simply just press the tofu between two dish towels with a heavy object on top (or use a tofu press) for 15-30 minutes. The longer you press it for, the less time you have to cook it.
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, asian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 218g
- Sugar: 5.8g
- Sodium: 1071mg
- Fat: 10.8g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6gg
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 13.7g
- Fiber: 1.08g
- Protein: 17.38
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: asian tofu bowls, asian mock beef, tofu crumbles, ground tofu