- Fill a large bowl with water halfway and mix in salt. Peel the apples and then place them into the salty water for 5 minutes. Reserve the apple skin.
- Core and chop apples into 1 cm sized pieces cubes.
- Add the apples, apple skin, fresh apple juice, chia seeds, lemon juice, maple syrup and cinnamon (if using) into a medium pot and bring to a low boil.
- Simmer the jam 18-20 minutes over medium low until the apples are very tender and all the liquid has evaporated. Stir every 5 minutes with a wooden spoon. If the liquid has evaporated very quickly and the apples are not yet tender, add in 1-3 tbsp more apple juice or water. Remove the apple skins at around 10-15 minutes or when the apple skin has become dull.
- Using the back of a wooden spoon, mash 50-60% of the apples until desired consistency.
- Immediately transfer the jam into a well sterilized jar and close securely with a lid. Allow the jam to cool at room temperature and then refrigerate.
- *If using water, increase maple syrup to 2-3 tbsp.
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: Condiments
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: North American
- Serving Size: 1 recipe
- Calories: 500
- Sugar: 94.7g
- Sodium: 15.3mg
- Fat: 4.3g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 122.3g
- Fiber: 18g
- Protein: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: chia jam, apple jam, chia seeds