SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
If you recreate this Ankake Tofu recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
- 1 block (300-350 g) soft or silken tofu
- 1 1/2 cup (150–170 g) mushrooms (shimeji, beech, enoki or shiitake)
- 1/2 small carrot (30–50 g), thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (25 g) sliced scallions, whites and greens separated
- 1 cup (250 ml) dashi stock of choice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sake
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) mirin
- 1 1/2 (22 ml) tbsp soy sauce*
- pinch of salt
- 2–4 tsp (7-13 g) potato starch
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 g) minced ginger
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sesame oil, optional
- Measure out the kombu dashi, remove 2 tbsp and pour it into a separate bowl. Remove tofu from package, rinse and drain well. Place onto a shallow plate and set aside.
- If using shimeji, beech or enoki mushrooms, separate from the stems. If using shiitake mushrooms, slice.
- Heat a small pot over medium heat and add mushrooms, white parts of the scallions and carrots. Stir fry until mushrooms slightly soften (add a little water if needed). Add in minced ginger and cook for another minute.
- Add dashi, mirin, sake and soy sauce, and let it simmer until mushrooms are cooked and carrots are just tender.
- Dissolve the potato starch in reserved dashi stock and pour it in while mixing. It should thicken immediately. Drizzle in sesame oil if using. Turn off the stove and remove from heat.
- Microwave the tofu on medium (600 W) for 1 1/2 – 2 minutes, or until warmed through. Alternatively, you can heat the tofu on the stove top as well. Add tofu to a pot over medium high and fill with water OR kombu dashi until just covering the tofu. Once simmering, reduce to low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until tofu is fully heated through. Use a slotted ladle and remove tofu.
- Pour the ankake mushroom sauce over the tofu and garnish with green part of scallions. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Remove tofu from package, rinse and drain well. You can keep it whole, but for this version I prefer to cut them into 1 inch cubes.
- Add the dashi stock, soy sauce, sake, mirin and potato starch in medium-large bowl and whisk until potato starch is dissolved. Add the mushrooms, carrots, scallions and ginger in and mix well. Cover and microwave for 2-3 minutes on medium (600 W).
- Add the tofu into the bowl, mix with the sauce and microwave for another 3 minutes, uncovered.
- Drizzle sesame oil if using and top with green part of scallions. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- *Instead of sake, mirin and soy sauce you can substitute with 3 tbsp mensutyu.
- Helpful Equipment: slotted ladle, silicon bowl cover
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Serving Size: 2 servings
Keywords: ankake tofu, soft tofu dish
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!